[OT] Similar tool to Debug Diagnostics Tool

Hi,

currently i am facing a “leak” of some kind in my application and i remember there was a tool that could generate a memory/process dump on request or on some trigger. I could debug my app using vstudio, but i need it to run a little to collect useful data to isolate the origin of the leak. I know there is Debug Diag 1.2 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26798 but i also remember some tool that was able to do more, including dumping kernel code and usercode at the same time or one of them. I only remember it was a free application also offered from MS for download and the only thing i also remember is that it was installing a driver as part of its functionaltily,…but i cant remember that tools name! It was like DebugDiag 1.2 but it was much more powerful if i rememer right, since it could dump kernel address space and was more configurable in some way.

Anybody knows what the tools name was,…?

ProcDump and ADPlus are two commonly used tools. I don’t think they can create kernel dumps though.

Userdump was another one (and it may have had kernel dump capability) but I’m not sure it’s still supported.

LiveKD supposedly can capture a kernel dump from a live system.

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of xxxxx@arcor.de
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:28 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] [OT] Similar tool to Debug Diagnostics Tool

Hi,

currently i am facing a “leak” of some kind in my application and i remember there was a tool that could generate a memory/process dump on request or on some trigger. I could debug my app using vstudio, but i need it to run a little to collect useful data to isolate the origin of the leak. I know there is Debug Diag 1.2 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26798 but i also remember some tool that was able to do more, including dumping kernel code and usercode at the same time or one of them. I only remember it was a free application also offered from MS for download and the only thing i also remember is that it was installing a driver as part of its functionaltily,…but i cant remember that tools name! It was like DebugDiag 1.2 but it was much more powerful if i rememer right, since it could dump kernel address space and was more configurable in some way.

For UM code there are many tools; I don’t know of any for KM specifically.
In both cases, I usually use my library of well debugged wrapper macros that
do allocation / leak tracking, but for UM code I have had good success with
the Intel vTune stuff (IIRC they are calling it Inspector XE or something
like that now)

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…

Hi,

currently i am facing a “leak” of some kind in my application and i remember
there was a tool that could generate a memory/process dump on request or on
some trigger. I could debug my app using vstudio, but i need it to run a
little to collect useful data to isolate the origin of the leak. I know
there is Debug Diag 1.2
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26798 but i also
remember some tool that was able to do more, including dumping kernel code
and usercode at the same time or one of them. I only remember it was a free
application also offered from MS for download and the only thing i also
remember is that it was installing a driver as part of its
functionaltily,…but i cant remember that tools name! It was like DebugDiag
1.2 but it was much more powerful if i rememer right, since it could dump
kernel address space and was more configurable in some way.

Very nice, thank you all,…

best

K.