Noob question: wia microdriver

Hi all,

noob question again… how wia microdriver can access scanner hardware? what kernel driver i should use? I saw all wia example code all stop at this point…

btw is there any book cover on wia driver?

Thanks
SG

xxxxx@pmail.ntu.edu.sg wrote:

noob question again… how wia microdriver can access scanner hardware? what kernel driver i should use? I saw all wia example code all stop at this point…

The typical scanner is either USB or SCSI, and in either case, the
operating system provides a kernel driver for devices that correctly
advertise themselves in the proper class… The WIA microdriver is
handed the file name that it needs to use in order to open the driver
(see the wia\microdrv sample), and there are some standard ioctls you
can use to communicate with the device.

btw is there any book cover on wia driver?

Have you read through the “Imaging Devices Design Guide” in the DDK
documentation? It’s in MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791899.aspx

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thanks Tim for your reply,

The WIA microdriver is handed the file name that it needs to use in order to open the driver (see >the wia\microdrv sample), and there are some standard ioctls you can use to communicate with the >device.

erm, this part is one of what I don’t understand, What file name? and how we can get it?
the other problem is how I should modify the INF so I can match my driver with the device? I played with OSR USB sample with my own dev board and its quite straight foward, just provide a matching pid and vid then it works.
In wia INF, I don’t see any PID and VID so what should I do?

I still reading the DDK documentation, I tried to digest it but it very hard to chew left alone digest it, haha

I’m working in scanner company, developing the firmware but I want to learn how the wia driver works as some part of image processing are done in the driver.
So right now, my understanding is very limited, please be patient with me :slight_smile:

Thanks

SG

arr… after comparing with original scanner INF, finally I know where to put the pid and vid…silly me ^^ but I still can’t find this info in the DDK documentation, maybe I missed it somewhere :frowning:

now looking at how to get the file name…

xxxxx@pmail.ntu.edu.sg wrote:

arr… after comparing with original scanner INF, finally I know where to put the pid and vid…silly me ^^ but I still can’t find this info in the DDK documentation, maybe I missed it somewhere :frowning:

now looking at how to get the file name…

I told you to go look at the microdrv sample. The CMD_INITIALIZE
handler is handed a parameter that includes a pointer to the driver file
name.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

sorry, didn’t pay much attention on CMD_INITIALIZE
you are right, I should look on this on the first place

thanks