List Problems This AM

Sigh…

We seem to have had some problems on the list server overnight.

One of the symptoms is that numerous messages were repeated within threads. This continued until the hard maximum number of posts per day was reached.

Most of you who posted yesterday, and all of you who have posted so far today (GMT) will have received a note that says something like “Sorry, your message was not sent out to ‘ntdev’ because the maximum number of messages per day has been reached.”

The problem seems to appear with posts via any mechanism: Email, newsreader, or forum.

We don’t know what the problem is, but we are working to diagnose and correct it.

>> NOTE THAT POSTING TO THE LIST *MAY* BE LIMITED WHILE WE ATTEMPT TO DIAGNOSE AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.

We’re sorry for the annoyance… we’ll let you know what we find, when we find it.

Peter
OSR

UPDATE:

We think we understand the mechanism of the problem, and are taking measures to correct it.

We’ve have manually backed-out all of the duplicate messages from the archives and the online forum. During that process, it is possible that we’ve unintentionally deleted an actual post or a reply.

Last night, a lot of folks had posts (both new threads and replies) denied when the “there are waaaay too many messages being posted” switch got flipped automatically. We’re GLAD this switch got flipped, but we’re sorry if your legitimate post was one of the ones that got denied.

In any case, if you don’t see your post here, please accept our apologies and repost.

Managing the lists can be very time consuming at times. At one point today, we had 4 people doing nothing but working on this problem. But, you know… somebody’s gotta do it.

Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of this problem soon. But, if we do, we’ll know how to deal with it at least.

Regards,

Peter
OSR

Glad to see it’s all getting cleared up. I thought it was quite funny when I
logged into my inbox and I saw I had 300 some odd unread emails (thought maybe I
slept through like 3 days without knowing).

-Brandon

On 3/7/2012 3:33 PM, xxxxx@osr.com wrote:

UPDATE:

We think we understand the mechanism of the problem, and are taking measures to correct it.

We’ve have manually backed-out all of the duplicate messages from the archives and the online forum. During that process, it is possible that we’ve unintentionally deleted an actual post or a reply.

Last night, a lot of folks had posts (both new threads and replies) denied when the “there are waaaay too many messages being posted” switch got flipped automatically. We’re GLAD this switch got flipped, but we’re sorry if your legitimate post was one of the ones that got denied.

In any case, if you don’t see your post here, please accept our apologies and repost.

Managing the lists can be very time consuming at times. At one point today, we had 4 people doing nothing but working on this problem. But, you know… somebody’s gotta do it.

Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of this problem soon. But, if we do, we’ll know how to deal with it at least.

Regards,

Peter
OSR

NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
http://www.osr.com/seminars

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

FYI , I noticed that all duplicates arrived as “News” in Outlook Express even when the originals where “Email” , as if messages
from a Mailserver jumped into the Newsserver and were accepted as fresh News. :slight_smile:

Christiaan

----- Original Message -----
To: “Windows System Software Devs Interest List”
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:33 PM
Subject: RE:[ntdev] List Problems This AM

> UPDATE:
>
> We think we understand the mechanism of the problem, and are taking measures to correct it.
>
> We’ve have manually backed-out all of the duplicate messages from the archives and the online forum. During that process, it is
> possible that we’ve unintentionally deleted an actual post or a reply.
>
> Last night, a lot of folks had posts (both new threads and replies) denied when the “there are waaaay too many messages being
> posted” switch got flipped automatically. We’re GLAD this switch got flipped, but we’re sorry if your legitimate post was one of
> the ones that got denied.
>
> In any case, if you don’t see your post here, please accept our apologies and repost.
>
> Managing the lists can be very time consuming at times. At one point today, we had 4 people doing nothing but working on this
> problem. But, you know… somebody’s gotta do it.
>
> Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of this problem soon. But, if we do, we’ll know how to deal with it at least.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
> OSR
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

Excellent observation Mr. Ghijselinck, thank you. It took us a few hours to figure that out this morning by looking at the messages themselves. But that is exactly correct.

Strange, isn’t it?

We saw a few other ugly things during our audits this morning (like, for example, a Korean spammer who echoed every single message sent to the list BACK to the list). So this little “interval” gave us a chance to do some maintenance that otherwise might not get done.

Thanks again,

Peter
OSR

wow i was wondering why am i reading posts whose content i remember reading
earlier until i read this post
now i am mass deleting the remaining unread posts
thanks for the info

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:36 AM, wrote:

>

>
> Excellent observation Mr. Ghijselinck, thank you. It took us a few hours
> to figure that out this morning by looking at the messages themselves. But
> that is exactly correct.
>
> Strange, isn’t it?
>
> We saw a few other ugly things during our audits this morning (like, for
> example, a Korean spammer who echoed every single message sent to the list
> BACK to the list). So this little “interval” gave us a chance to do some
> maintenance that otherwise might not get done.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Peter
> OSR
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>