Inf file for Software only driver - WDM

Hi,

I am trying to install a non-pnp software only driver, which follows WDM using my inf.
But this doesn’t work. I want to make it work with Dpinst.exe.

The same works using Add new hardware wizard.

When I run DpInst.exe with this inf file, Dpinst.exe copies the driver to DRVSTORE but it doesn’t copy this to System32\drivers folder.

Dpinst.log shows that it has not found a matching device id. Driver will be started when the device is plugged in.

Can some one give me pointers on how to do a automatic installation of non-pnp software only drivers in windows (XP & VISTA)?

Thanks,
Vikranth

Did you run chkinf on the INF file?

Did you look at the installer log?

If the answer to both of the above are “yes, and I found no errors”, post the INF file.

Peter
OSR

xxxxx@hotmail.com wrote:

I am trying to install a non-pnp software only driver, which follows WDM using my inf.
But this doesn’t work. I want to make it work with Dpinst.exe.

The same works using Add new hardware wizard.

When I run DpInst.exe with this inf file, Dpinst.exe copies the driver to DRVSTORE but it doesn’t copy this to System32\drivers folder.

Dpinst.log shows that it has not found a matching device id. Driver will be started when the device is plugged in.

Can some one give me pointers on how to do a automatic installation of non-pnp software only drivers in windows (XP & VISTA)?

If it’s a non-PnP driver, then why don’t you just use the service
manager to install it? You don’t really need an INF file, and DpInst is
not going to do the right thing.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

I want to get this driver to go to WHQL and for this I think inf file is a must.