FastIO in filters

Hello, my problem is that i don’t know if in a filter i have to implement the fastIO for the pass-through from IOmgr.

And how i can do that, because each fast-io function has its own set of parameters.

Thanks.

If the filter is a file system filter you need to support this. Of course
if it is a file system filter you should be looking at the mini filter model
that does the work for you. If it is not a file system filter, it is
possible that the driver stack in special cases supports fast I/O but I do
not know of any standard stacks that do. Worse case, if you do not support
it, the I/O manager will send the requests down as IRP’s.


Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> Hello, my problem is that i don’t know if in a filter i have to implement
> the fastIO for the pass-through from IOmgr.
>
> And how i can do that, because each fast-io function has its own set of
> parameters.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
> signature database 4600 (20091112)

>
> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>

Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4600 (20091112)

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

What type of device are you filtering?

In general, you don’t have to implement Fast-IO in filters… For I/O operations if the driver below you uses Fast I/O and you (the filter) do not, the I/O Manager will just build an IRP and send it the conventional way.

Unless the driver below you is a unique type of driver, this will work out fine.

If you’re filtering a file system, please visit the NTFSD list :slight_smile:

Peter
OSR

Is file system filter driver!

Then as Peter pointed out this should be asked in NTFSD. As I pointed out
if this is a mini-filter (and if not why not?) then the filter manager takes
care of this for you.


Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> Is file system filter driver!
>
>
> Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
> signature database 4600 (20091112)

>
> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>

Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4600 (20091112)

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

You can see the sfilter.c sample from DDK for passthourugh FastIO routines
callbacks implementation.

Ismael Rocha

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Don Burn wrote:

> Then as Peter pointed out this should be asked in NTFSD. As I pointed out
> if this is a mini-filter (and if not why not?) then the filter manager
> takes
> care of this for you.
>
>
> –
> Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
> Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
> Website: http://www.windrvr.com
> Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr
>
>
> wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> > Is file system filter driver!
> >
> >
> > Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
> > signature database 4600 (20091112)

> >
> > The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
> >
> > http://www.eset.com
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
> signature database 4600 (20091112)

>
> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at
> http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>