1394 Driver for Windows 7

We have our own 1394 middle layer driver which runs on Win XP. We would like to run on Windows 7. When we try to install the driver on Windows 7, the install process just runs forever and never completes.

The only Microsoft documentation I’ve been able to find is a document called 1394_Windows7.docx. It says that the new Windows 7 1394 bus driver is fully backward compatible with the legacy 1394 bus driver. It then goes on to discuss some of the know differences in behavior between the two. The biggest difference seems to be that the new bus driver returns STATUS_PENDING for all I/O requests, whereas the legacy bus driver completed some requests immediately.

So, what do we need to do to get the driver to work under Windows 7? Should it just work as is? Is it just an installation problem (.inf file)? Does the old source code need to be rebuild under the new DDK? Or do we need to make some code changes to be compatible with the new “backwards compatible” bus driver?

Thanks for any help.

You need to attach a kernel debugger and debug the problem, i am guessing win7 is exposing a bug in your driver.

d

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 2:09 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] 1394 Driver for Windows 7

We have our own 1394 middle layer driver which runs on Win XP. We would like to run on Windows 7. When we try to install the driver on Windows 7, the install process just runs forever and never completes.

The only Microsoft documentation I’ve been able to find is a document called 1394_Windows7.docx. It says that the new Windows 7 1394 bus driver is fully backward compatible with the legacy 1394 bus driver. It then goes on to discuss some of the know differences in behavior between the two. The biggest difference seems to be that the new bus driver returns STATUS_PENDING for all I/O requests, whereas the legacy bus driver completed some requests immediately.

So, what do we need to do to get the driver to work under Windows 7? Should it just work as is? Is it just an installation problem (.inf file)? Does the old source code need to be rebuild under the new DDK? Or do we need to make some code changes to be compatible with the new “backwards compatible” bus driver?

Thanks for any help.

NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
http://www.osr.com/seminars

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

Doron,
Thanks for the reply. I’m not an expert at drivers.
So are you saying that it should work? Why is it failing during the install? I didn’t think that any of the driver code actually runs during installation. I thought Windows compiles the .inf file and executes the commands in it, such as file copying and registry entries.
Harry

Have you tried running the INF file through the Windows 7 chkinf tool?

If you are not familiar with chkinf it is in the tools\chkinf directory of
the WDK. You will need to install PERL on your computer to run chninf. A
free version of PERL is available at www.activeperl.com.

Does your INF file specify a co-installer or a properties page?

Ed

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of xxxxx@comcast.net
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 8:05 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: RE:[ntdev] 1394 Driver for Windows 7

Doron,
Thanks for the reply. I’m not an expert at drivers.
So are you saying that it should work? Why is it failing during the
install? I didn’t think that any of the driver code actually runs during
installation. I thought Windows compiles the .inf file and executes the
commands in it, such as file copying and registry entries.
Harry

NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
http://www.osr.com/seminars

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at
http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> Doron,
> Thanks for the reply. I’m not an expert at drivers.
> So are you saying that it should work? Why is it failing during the
> install? I didn’t think that any of the driver code actually runs during
> installation. I thought Windows compiles the .inf file and executes the
> commands in it, such as file copying and registry entries.

No, the driver may actually start running during the install.

–pa

I am familiar with ChkInf. However, I haven’t been able to completely install WDK 7.0. I have tried on 3 different computers - Apple MacBook Pro running Windows 7 (Ultimate); older Apple MacBook Pro running Win XP SP2; Samsung x25 running Win XP SP2. I get the same errors on all three. I am able to install the Documentation, but when I install the Tools, I get Unexpected Configuration Error - can’t install sdv. When installing the Samples, I get Unexpected Configuration Error - can’t install Totaster sample. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Hi Harry,

I can take a look at the 1394ohci debug log and see if there’s any info in it concerning your issue. Do a search on enableautotrace and you will see the instructions on how to capture the 1394ohci etl log. Send the etl file to donmil at microsoft.com.

Thanks,

-Don