FltSendMessage - ClientPort use

Hi, Does anyone know why ClientPort parameter is a pointer to a pointer and not directly a single pointer? If the variable (let’s call it g_ClientPort) is not modified inside FlrSendMessage why does it need a pointer to it? It’s defined as _in, and I don’t see in the disassembly that it is modified directly, but maybe a subcall does it. Strangely, I never saw code that copied the variable and passed a pointer to different variables yet :slight_smile: OT: what was the email to use to post without going to the forum? Dejan.

@Dejan_Maksimovic said:
Hi,

Does anyone know why ClientPort parameter is a pointer to a pointer and not directly a single pointer?
If the variable (let’s call it g_ClientPort) is not modified inside FlrSendMessage why does it need a pointer to it? It’s defined as _in, and I don’t see in the disassembly that it is modified directly, but maybe a subcall does it.

It’s a cute way to clean up the race between FltSendMessage and FltCloseClientPort without external synchronization:

• FltSendMessage grabs your filter lock shared and checks to see if *ClientPort is NULL.
  • FltCloseClientPort grabs your filter lock ex and sets *ClientPort to NULL

OT: what was the email to use to post without going to the forum?

We’d really prefer everyone just use the forum at this point…We did a bunch of work to “grandfather in” email access to some people when we moved the site 5+ years ago but it’s mostly just a pain (and I’m still not over having to give up NNTP access ?).

> > Does anyone know why ClientPort parameter is a pointer to a pointer

and not directly a single pointer?
>
> If the variable (let’s call it g_ClientPort) is not modified inside
FlrSendMessage why does it need a pointer to it? It’s defined as _in, and I
don’t see in the disassembly that it is modified directly, but maybe a
subcall does it.

It’s a cute way to clean up the race between FltSendMessage and
FltCloseClientPort without external synchronization:

So, it does need for the same variable’s address to be passed, and not the
value to be copied around? Thanks!

We’d really prefer everyone just use the forum at this point…We did a
bunch of work to “grandfather in” email access to some people when we moved
the site 5+ years ago but it’s mostly just a pain (and I’m still not over
having to give up NNTP access ?).

I don-t think you know how much easier e-mail is :smiley:

Regards, Dejan.

@Dejan_Maksimovic said:
So, it does need for the same variable’s address to be passed, and not the
value to be copied around? Thanks!

Correct.

I don-t think you know how much easier e-mail is :smiley:

For you maybe but not for the forum or its indentured servants ? (I, for one, definitely don’t miss seeing broken threads everywhere starting with “RE: re: Re: AW: aw: RE: SV: RE: [NTFSD]”)