WHQL for class filter driver problem

Hi,

I wrote a class filter driver, and before we public the driver , we think it would be better to get driver signed by MSFT,

then, I setting up a WHQL environment, install the class filter driver in the agent,

however, I could not sort out the the class filter driver to be tested. it is not listed in the server.

In before, we might selected the unclassified catagory for the filter driver, and it look the “unclassified” catagory is missed in WHLK server now

[I don’t know how to upload my screen shot here]
Screenshot description
on Server WLK tools column : [Project] [Selection] [Tested] [Result] [Package]

The [seclection] page will show the driver list to be tested : it classified : systems , device and printers , device manager, software device

My class filter driver not listed in any of the driver to be tested list, and there is no “unclassified” catagory.

my question is how to run a WHQL for class filter driver?

Is it good to select the device that my class filtter installed as the its lowefilter

It is not possible to WHQL a class filter by itself, for the reasons you note. WHQL tests devices, and you don’t have any devices. Your driver does not run in a “standalone” mode, so you can’t even run basic driver tests. Yes, you ought to be able to select a device you are filtering and run the tests for that device class, but it’s not clear that really exercises your driver.

Do you actually have a driver package, with an INF and a CAT? The INF for a class filter often uses the [DefaultInstall] section, which is not really a PnP installation at all – it’s just a simple installer app. You can do the same thing with a simple app that copies the file and makes a couple of registry entries, without requiring a driver package.

So, stepping back, why do you want to do this? Why not just get attestation signing and be done with it?

1 Like

Do you actually have a driver package, with an INF and a CAT?
Yes, I install the driver package via right click the INF file and run [DefaultInstall] section.

So, stepping back, why do you want to do this? Why not just get attestation signing and be done with it?

we use testsigning mode for driver development, but we could not ask the customer to run the system in test mode.
therefore we need to get the driver package signing from microsoft, and this need the WHQL test result package.
Do I need to write the installer app to install the driver to make it looks like a PNP driver ?
or just select a device that filter driver filtering to get the WHQL test package for delivering to MSFT.

@Tim_Roberts said:
It is not possible to WHQL a class filter by itself, for the reasons you note. WHQL tests devices, and you don’t have any devices. Your driver does not run in a “standalone” mode, so you can’t even run basic driver tests. Yes, you ought to be able to select a device you are filtering and run the tests for that device class, but it’s not clear that really exercises your driver.

The INF for a class filter often uses the [DefaultInstall] section, which is not really a PnP installation at all – it’s just a simple installer app. You can do the same thing with a simple app that copies the file and makes a couple of registry entries, without requiring a driver package.

@Tim_Roberts said:

Do you actually have a driver package, with an INF and a CAT? The INF for a class filter often uses the [DefaultInstall] section, which is not really a PnP installation at all – it’s just a simple installer app. You can do the same thing with a simple app that copies the file and makes a couple of registry entries, without requiring a driver package.

As we did not needto update driver with MSFT, either Windows logo. I wil try to sign the driver directly

I didn’t say to sign the driver directly. I said to use attestation signing. That uses the same hardware dashboard portal that you use for WHQL, but does not require you to submit a WHQL test log.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/code-signing-attestation
https://www.osr.com/blog/2017/07/06/attestation-signing-mystery/