Block Uploads in specific Browser using Windows filtering platform

I am currently working on POC (Proof of Concept) on controlling Internet traffic and my requirement is to restrict uploads and downloads to the URL.
For Example - Restrict Upload from www.gmail.com in chrome or IE browser only.

And I am able to block specific URLs in a specific browser. But not able to block uploads in gmail or any platform (Dropbox)
in a specific browser. Please help on this?

Think about how this could work. For most URLs, the first step is a DNS lookup to find the IP address. Then the browser will make a TCP connection to that host on the default or explicit port and try to establish some kind of HTTP connection. Most of the time that means TLS and HTTP 2.0, but there are many combinations and there are new ones being devised all the time.

The next question is exactly how the ‘upload’ is implemented by a specific website. You might think that it must be some kind of POST request, but there is a tremendous diversity in the way that this is implemented. And worse, it can change at any moment. And even if you can pin the exact sequence down, the TLS protocol is specifically designed to prevent surveillance or tampering.

And the final question is how exactly to identify the specific browser that you are trying to control. I can easily copy the binary for any browser to a new folder - and rename it too if I choose

1 Like

Yeah agree on your point and now trying the “File System filter” to identify the file upload.