Walter Oney's Book/CD Devview not working

I have softcopy of the book and have found the CD on github.

When I installed the CD the install failed when I clicked on “Finish”

When I try to run Devview it fails saying it couldn’t load devview.sys :frowning:

Is there a fixed/updated version of Devview? If I want to look at what drivers and filters are installed for a device, that seems the only game in town - shame the source code didn’t escape :(.

It’s like 30 years old. I wonder if Walt is still alive. Last I heard he
gave up on tech and went back to bankruptcy law.

Mark Roddy

Walt definitely went back to law, some bankruptcy and some intellectual property theft work. I remember having to tweak some things in the samples for a client almost 20 years ago, so I can’t imagine what would be needed today. Walt is still out there see http://www.oneylaw.com

Thanks Mark and Don,

What do you suggest I should use to find what drivers/filters are associated to a specific device if not Walt’s tool?

Thanks
David

You can do it with Windbg look at !devnode and !devstack

All of this information is exposed in the Details tab on the device’s property page. Everything listed on the details tab is exposed through a property on the device node. You can just use the UI or you can write a simple tool that enumerates the properties of interest on the device of interest.

When I installed the CD the install failed when I clicked on “Finish”

Of course it did. The binary on that github page was built in April 2002. It is a 32-bit binary, and of course it is unsigned.

@Doron_Holan said:
All of this information is exposed in the Details tab on the device’s property page. Everything listed on the details tab is exposed through a property on the device node. You can just use the UI or you can write a simple tool that enumerates the properties of interest on the device of interest.

You could write such a tool in you sleep I’m sure. Me, not so much - this is my first foray into the deep and dark recesses of Windows driver stuff. :smiley:

@David_Partridge said:

@Doron_Holan said:

You could write such a tool in you sleep I’m sure. Me, not so much - this is my first foray into the deep and dark recesses of Windows driver stuff. :smiley:

look at the devcon sample.