Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Is there a way to list opened/created ports by a minifilter?

dilawardilawar Member Posts: 5
edited October 7 in NTDEV

Hi all,

This is my first time here. Mostly a Linux developer who began working with Windows very recently. I am developing for Windows 10 (2019).

I just finished writing a mini-filter (say myfilter) that seems to be working fine: verifier.exe is enabled and WinDbg output is looking promising.

This mini-filter opens a port (say L"\\My_Port) using FltCreateCommunicationPort for any client to communicate with it. I mostly followed this example https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/blob/1fe4cc42bedfccb97a5b2cc169f9e5306d41d0de/filesys/miniFilter/avscan/user/userscan.c to implement it.

I am now writing a client program to connect to L"\\My_Port but it is failing with error code 0x80070002 (which I assume is a proxy for Win32 code 0x00000002 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). I am a bit lost here about how to debug it.

Is there a utility that can tell me if a port opened by myfilter is really open?

PS: I just realized NTSTD is the more appropriate forum for this. If possible, can this post be moved there?

Post edited by dilawar on

Comments