Simple lower filter question

I’ve modified gen filter to lower filter and installed it successfully but as I can see there is no uninstall section in inf file?? so after installation, if I want to uninstall the driver, delete the inf, delete the driver file what shall I add in inf file.? I know for you guru’s this question may looks simple but I am confused here so please help.

Thank you.

If you’re talking about a PnP lower filter, then the INF isn’t a normal INF, and won’t be copied to C:\Windows\Inf. “Uninstall” means removing the LowerFilters value from the registry, and deleting the SYS file and, optionally, removing the Services entry.

If you’re talking about a file system filter, then ignore all that, because I know nothing.

1 Like

Thank you Tim for the reply.

One this is clear to me that if I want to uninstall a driver, need to delete the key and driver file.

Now please shed some light on the difference between PnP upper/lower filter and Non-PnP upper/Lower filter(s). when to go for PnP filter(s) and what cautions we may have when developing them. how to differentiate bw these two (DefaultInstall section or ?)

Thank you again in advance.

There is no such thing as a “non-PnP upper/lower filter”. The whole upper/lower filter concept is a PnP concept. To take your device out of operation, all you have to do is remove the LowerFilters registry key and restart the device. Everything else is just cleaning up the file system which is not that important.

1 Like

Thank you!!!