If i use ZwTerminateProcess in the creation callback, what will happen to the rest of callbacks?

@Don_Burn said:
There are at least four different paths through process creation that can invoke the callback. Bottom line, is if you do anything but the most normal of paths your approach will fail. I did test this extensively years ago when XP was the “new” desktop OS, you have tested the most common creation path, try things like forking a process, and be ready for a surprise.

Interesting. So one path i assume is the normal creation path which a user simply double clicks on an executable or a process calls CreateProcess with the most default arguments.

So what are the other three other paths, and which of them will bypass my method?
Isn’t forking a linux thing? i didn’t know you can fork in Windows as well, even if it is possible, I am not sure if its very common either. The only method that i have been using is simply call CreateProcess or use System.

Also, when you say fail, do you mean getting a BSOD, or simply ZwTerminateProcess failing? because i am OK with it to fail in very rare situations, but getting a BSOD is a no no for me.

@Don_Burn said:
There are at least four different paths through process creation that can invoke the callback. Bottom line, is if you do anything but the most normal of paths your approach will fail. I did test this extensively years ago when XP was the “new” desktop OS, you have tested the most common creation path, try things like forking a process, and be ready for a surprise.

Hmmm Interesting. So one path i assume is the normal creation path which a user simply double clicks on an executable or a process calls CreateProcess with the most default arguments.

So what are the other three other paths, and which of them will bypass my method?
Isn’t forking a linux thing? i didn’t know you can fork in Windows as well, even if it is possible, I am not sure if its very common either. The only method that i have been using is simply call CreateProcess or use System.

Also, when you say fail, do you mean getting a BSOD, or simply ZwTerminateProcess failing? because i am OK with it to fail in very rare situations, but getting a BSOD is a no no for me.

I did this work many years ago for a client. On some cases with fork you kill the creating process not the one being created. Most of the other failures are that you get an error that the process does not exist.

@Don_Burn said:
I did this work many years ago for a client. On some cases with fork you kill the creating process not the one being created. Most of the other failures are that you get an error that the process does not exist.

But fork doesn’t even exist on Windows?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4243880/substitute-for-forking-in-windows

Based on the answer to that questions, it only exist on high-end versions of Windows, which doesn’t concern me since i use Ex on Vista+, i only use non Ex callback on pre vista right now.

Fork does exist in Windows since NT 3.1 The underlying NtCreateProcess has a lot of options. If you are going to be mucking at the level you are attempting find a copy of Windows NT/2000 Native API Reference by Gary Nebbett. If you cannot handle every option in that call, then you have not done things correctly.

1 Like

@Don_Burn said:

Interesting. So one path i assume is the normal creation path which a user simply double clicks on an executable or a process calls CreateProcess with the most default arguments.

Yes, fork does exist… if not in name, in function. So… what Mr. @Don_Burn said is entirely correct.

OTOH… you need this just for Win 7? Go ahead doing what you’re doing, and people who are running Win7 get what they get. After all, they’re running OS code that’s more than 10 years old and no longer maintained, so they don’t much care anyhow. (OK, that last part was sarcasm, so don’t … you know… flood me with replies — But the recommendation to just do what you want in Win7 and “they get what they get” was sincere).

Peter

OT, but for the visually impaired Win7 is the last usable Windows. Our
center for the visually impaired is mostly on XP for the same reason.

And if not for Dark Mode, I would have left Windows development a few years
ago.

It is not just caring, a lot is necessity.

Kind regards, Dejan.
https://www.alfasp.com

OTOH… you need this just for Win 7? Go ahead doing what you’re doing, and

Didn’t I just write that was sarcasm, and don’t flood me with replies?

Actually, that part did not appear in the emails.

Kind regards, Dejan.
https://www.alfasp.com

Didn’t I just write that was sarcasm, and don’t flood me with replies?

On the what happens to the callback it depends on the type of process creation one does, i.e. CreateProcesss, the windows fork capability, etc. The OP needs to be trying every combination of ZwCreateProcess to understand this stuff, and expect to need to walk through the assembly code of the ZwCreateProcess to understand what is happening. Do not trust ReactOS on this it has bugs that cause it to act differently than Windows.

Do not trust ReactOS

This is true as a general statement. Not just in the specific case Mr. Burn cites.

Peter

If I only had a penny for every bug & security issue caused by handle inheritance I would be wealthy.

1 Like

every bug & security issue caused by handle inheritance

Yup. This. And, you know, I honestly don’t even understand why this is a thing. Seriously, can someone explain to me, like I was six years old, what problem handle inheritance solves that can be solved otherwise? I don’t get it. And I’m sick of programming around weird edge cases it can cause.

Peter

Its main purpose is to provide automatic redirection of the standard input and standard output (and standard error) streams. That’s all well and good, but a change to the console subsystem design could have achieved the same

The secondary purpose is to pass otherwise unfindable / inaccessible synchronization or file mapping objects between a parent and child process. This is valid in some sense because object name squatting is a legitimate security issue and ACLs are useless to prevent this since the minimum granularity is a whole security principal - which can be running many processes. I’m not aware of any better way to do that then handle inheritance, but it is a small class of programs that employ this pattern and they should all be legacy and obsolete

Thank you Mr @MBond2

The secondary purpose is to pass otherwise unfindable / inaccessible synchronization or file mapping objects

Yeah… that’s pretty outdated, as you say. We don’t share object instances, we share object names, and communicate them among processes via secure channels.

they should all be legacy and obsolete

Agreed. Thank you again.

You know, I once suggested (long ago) in a meeting that the code to duplicate processes be removed from the OS. This happened just after support for the Posix Subsystem was removed from Windows, which would have been a great excuse. Not one person on the core team agreed that this was a good idea. Most everyone was silent, except the guy who owned the Memory Manager who dismissed it with “We can’t do that” for reasons of compatibility.

Compat has been a great thing for Windows, but it has often been taken too far and been an excuse for not innovating. The entire I/O Subsystem has lacked innovation for years in the name of carefully maintained compatibility. The truth is, it’s super hard and risky work to champion changes, communicate these to the installed base, and get buy-in to make breaking innovations (because, unlike Linux, that would be what’s required in the Windows world). So, why do it? Fucking up a bunch of ancient drivers in the field will get you sent to Siberia. But ensuring nothing changes — including nothing improving — and that everything stays running will get you promoted to Partner Architect.

Sad but true. Sorry… on one of my many hot-button tangents…

Peter

Compat has been a great thing for Windows, but it has often been taken too far…

OMG, you’re likely to trigger my irate rant on the boneheaded decisions regarding GetVersion and friends. Rarely have I encountered such API stupidity.

On the other hand, it’s possible to go to far the other way as well. When Apple arbitrarily dropped support for 32-bit apps in MacOS 11, that actually changed my decision on my next laptop. My primary home laptop is now an LG Gram 17 running Linux.

I might be more sympathetic, except that I developed new code last year with EBCDIC and BCD encodings.

Interesting; I did a user-mode project last year that had to read and write EBCDIC. The spec was still based on “tape marks”. Some things never change.

The IBM technology from the 1960’s is still alive and well. It was good enough to fly to the moon and in my industry (banking and brokerage) it has never been supplanted