WinPE C++ Program Hardware Access Guides?

Is it possible to write a C or C++ program for Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) that can access the hardware (PCI config space registers and memory i/o space)? If so, are there any guides to it since I couldn’t find anything about it?

You probably want this post to be under the NTDEV topic. THIS topic (NTFSD) is for file system filter discussions.

I’ll move your post for you.

Peter

Is it possible to write a C or C++ program for Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) that can access the hardware (PCI config space registers and memory i/o space)?

Generally speaking, it’s not possible to write such a program on any version of Windows (WinPE or otherwise) without using a driver. User applications are not privileged. Accessing arbitrary locations in physical memory or I/O Port space can cause (deliberately or otherwise) system instability. It would be a problem for a general purpose operating system to allow a non-privileged application to cause such instability.

Peter

That has nothing to do with your original question. Was this all just spam, given your last line?

(Spammy post now deleted. Thank you, Mr. Roberts)

Peter