Signing driver for Windows 7

Hi, NTDEV!
Now I have to sign driver for Windows 7, so I adjusted test server and test machine, I passed tests that I need in Windows HLK (but some tests failed, so I didn’t run them to have only successfull ones).

As a result I created .hlkx file and uploaded it in Microsoft Partner Dev Center to get my driver signed by Microsoft. But on Manual Review step I got an error - “Fail. Errata ID not provided for not run tests”.

So I have several questions: what is happening on Manual Review step? Does that error means that I have to run all tests in target (even those that are failed)? I also found information that I have to complete this document and add it as supplement.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HSUJUpVMr0gJ:download.microsoft.com/download/4/C/3/4C34C72F-FD65-41C9-B89A-A0858A2C3562/windows-hardware-dashboard-submission-readme-v2.2.docx+&cd=1&hl=ru&ct=clnk&gl=ru

So do I need to fill table with failed tests in this document? And where can I find Waiver ID Number?

(but some tests failed, so I didn’t run them to have only successfull ones).

Well, that’s not how it works. The HLK uses your device class to determine which tests to run. You must pass ALL the tests it chooses, unless there is an errata that documents a problem in the test. The HLK should load filters for the current errata automatically. If you don’t pass some tests, then your driver is broken, and you need to fix it.

Are you ONLY looking for Windows 7? If so, why go through HLK at all? Why not just use self-signing and cross-signing, like we always have in the past?

The HLK uses your device class to determine which tests to run.

What should I do to make HLK choose tests for my driver? Do I have to upload .inf file? If so, where do I have to upload it?
So I have client on test system, I installed my driver there. So what do I have to choose on Selection tab in Windows HLK Studio on Controller?

P.S. Thank you so much for helping me!

Do I have to see my driver in the list on Selection Tab in Software device section?

Are you ONLY looking for Windows 7? If so, why go through HLK at all? Why not just use self-signing and cross-signing, like we always have in the past?

But here it’s written that cross-signing will be elaminated in July this year.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/deprecation-of-software-publisher-certificates-and-commercial-release-certificates

What should I do to make HLK choose tests for my driver? Do I have to upload .inf file?

Aren’t you already doing that? If not, how did you create an .hlkx file? How did you run tests at all?

The normal process is that the HLK server connects to the HLK client system being tested and enumerates all of its devices. It then presents you with a list and lets you choose. Note that the HLK can only test client systems running Windows 10. Does your driver run under Windows 10? If you need to test on earlier systems, you’ll need to use the HCK instead.

But here it’s written that cross-signing will be elaminated in July this year.

That’s their current story, but you’re trying to sign a driver now. Right? The process still works today.

The normal process is that the HLK server connects to the HLK client system being tested and enumerates all of its devices. It then presents you with a list and lets you choose. Note that the HLK can only test client systems running Windows 10. Does your driver run under Windows 10? If you need to test on earlier systems, you’ll need to use the HCK instead.

Can you tell me please what I should do if HCK chooses zero tests for my driver for win7?

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I think my confusion is very close related to this thread

According to this information:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/deprecation-of-software-publisher-certificates-and-commercial-release-certificates

“Windows Server 2008 and later, Windows 7, Windows 8 → WHQL or drivers cross-signed before July 1 2021”

Does it mean for Windows 7 the only way to install/run a driver package which is build after July 1 2021 is to go through the WHQL?

Didn’t look good enough the first time appearently; read this information:
https://www.osr.com/blog/2021/04/08/lost-cause-no-driver-updates-allowed-except-for-win-10/

So non-pnp drivers seem fine for Windows 7 at least for the time being.

at least for the time being

For now and forever.

Hence “lost cause”…

Peter