Improving the execution time of extension commands while debugging kernel?

I tried switching to KDNet from COM but didn’t help much, commands like !drvobj take too long. the horrible speed only happens when using extension commands, so for example !drvobj mydriver takes 50 times the time it takes to execute dt nt!_DRIVER_OBJECT mydriver

how can i make these type of commands execute the fastest? will switching to USB or something else help much? any trick to make it as fast as possible? I also tried VMware and VirtualBox, didn’t make much difference.

Network debugging is faster than 1394 debugging is faster than USB debugging is faster than COM debugging. In most cases, it doesn’t matter, because any given version only supported a subset of that list.

It is what it is. You don’t execute those commands very often, so there is no gain in optimizing them. When you think about what the debugger is doing for you, it’s practically a miracle as it is. Go worry about your code.

1 Like

@Tim_Roberts said:
Network debugging is faster than 1394 debugging is faster than USB debugging is faster than COM debugging. In most cases, it doesn’t matter, because any given version only supported a subset of that list.

It is what it is. You don’t execute those commands very often, so there is no gain in optimizing them. When you think about what the debugger is doing for you, it’s practically a miracle as it is. Go worry about your code.

honestly I think there could be some improvement in some of these extension commands, for example commands like !drvobj MyDriver are sometimes 10-20 times slower than their like equivalent dt nt!_DRIVER_OBJECT MyDriver, i know !drvobj does some other stuff as well like parsing the result and such, but the difference is a lot sometimes. and some of the commands like !devstack even take 3-4 minutes to finish in some cases! i mean i can do what the !devstack is doing myself, the problem is i have to execute 5-6 commands to do so instead of one, i guess i can write a script myself to do it without using the extension command, but why are they so slow?