fltReadFile fails only on windows 10 with status_invalid_device_request

Yes, butthe fact remains that unless FltObjects->Instance is for C: (which means that the callback is for a file on c:) thats just not going to work.

I see that this is not an optional parameter, so you are left with

• Finding one of your instances on C:
  • Using ZwRead (and probably ZwCreateFileZwClose)

Thanks for response.
But the documentation for instance parameter said:
“Opaque instance pointer for the minifilter driver instance that is initiating the read request”
So i did not expect it to be a problem.
This works fine on win 7 and 8.1 too. But not on win 10. I wonder how that is possible
Anyways thanks.

It isn’t supposed to work on any Windows, as Rod explained.
Either switch to Zw or open the file on E, only after you already have
some instance for the C drive.

I’m constructing a PR for the documentation

But it works as I said(win 8.1 and 7). Care to do a simple check to confirm if you need to.

Lots of things arent supposed to work but do often.
However you need it to always work.

@Ehsan_Taheri said:

But it works as I said(win 8.1 and 7). Care to do a simple check to confirm if you need to.

It was a bug in 7 and 8.
Instance can only initiate io on the same volume, below itself.
You need an instance for volume c: to fltreadfile from volume c:
Instance for e: won’t do in this case

Then what about fltCreateFileEx?
documentation for parameter instance says:
“An opaque instance pointer for the minifilter driver instance that the create request is to be sent to. The instance must be attached to the volume where the file or directory resides. This parameter is optional and can be NULL. If this parameter is NULL, the request is sent to the device object at the top of the file system driver stack for the volume. If it is non-NULL, the request is sent only to minifilter driver instances that are attached below the specified instance.”
It means they consider the scenario that the target file is not in the same volume as minifilter instance.
What use such FltCreateFile has?
fltcreatefileEx succeeds in windows 10 when I issue it for a file on another volume, my minifilter is not attached too.
why they consider allowing fltCreateFile(in that specific scenario) while you can’t issue a FltReadFile or maybe something else after?
They could just “send the request to the device object at the top of the file system driver stack” just like create file document says.
At least they could do some deadlock check in fltReadFile which can’t be done in zwReadFile, if they allowed it.

You make a good point. You can’t even use FltPerform(a)SynchronousIo
with such an opened handle.
Other than FltMgr keeping a reference count (and bugchecking/asserting
when Verifier is enabled on the filter), I don’t directly see a
purpose.

I do not really understand the problem.

The instance is the location in the mini filter stack where the io is initiated. That’s all (and indeed everything)

It doesn’t matter what sort of io. It is not at all unusual to not want to send operations to the top of the stack particularly after an open.

Flt create allows null (probably as has been said to allow file object leakage detection by verifier); other operations don’t. So you either don’t use them or if altitude does matter, summon up an instance.

But the instance has to be relevant to the underlying device. If it didn’t then there is no meaning to the io. Sounds like there was a major bug prior to win 10 which thankfully has been plugged.

I suspect that if you went back 15 years you might be able to persuade Neal to allow null instances on other operations, but I see little value in it…

Flt create allows null (probably as has been said to allow file object leakage detection by verifier);
The point is: will such fileObjects ever be used actually? to leak after and then be detected?

And if not, and since we are not 15 yours back. maybe they consider do not allowing NULL on FltCreateFile as well instead?

The point is: will such fileObjects ever be used actually? to leak after and then be detected?

Yes,

1. They are referenced so if you references are wrong they will leak and use memory
  2. They can (and often are) passed to other subsystems. Think Oplocks amongst many others.

You can use FltEnumerateInstances and get an instance at the top of the
stack for a given volume.

Thanks for pointing it.
Ofc that is correct in case my filter is attached to the target volume which was not my case.

You don’t have to be attached to it!

Let’s assume my minifilter(A) is not attached to volume X(which is my scenarion and this desscusion is based on it).
I call FltEnumerateInstances for volume X and get a list of instance poiters non of which belong to my minifilter.
Then I use a random instance from the list and call FltReadFile from minifilter A using an instance pointer of minifilter B?
Is that safe?
And is there any benefit to doing it this way instead of going with zwreadfile and zwcreatefile. since it seems to be a bit more complicated than just using zw…files.

If you are never going to be involved on that volume my suggestion would be to use Zw…

As for your proposed method, do not use a random instance, rather use the top instance (there is a call to give you that)… There are several classes of filters which will cause a crash in the FSD if you skip them…

This is safe. You can place the read anywhere you want in the stack.
You might break some encryption or AV filters, perhaps :slight_smile:

But they must be able to handle such cases! No read is guaranteed to
be never from the top of a minifilter stack (as opposed to a top of
the whole FS filter stack), nor are they guaranteed to pass through
their filters.

This is not a suggestion, as in “do that”. It was only a comment that
it is possible to do that.\

This is safe. You can place the read anywhere you want in the stack.
With the greatest respect, you cannot. This is not safe.

You might break some encryption or AV filters, perhaps :slight_smile:
No, you run a real risk of causing on a crash if the filter is making use of shadow file objects (see NT Insiders passim). The Microsoft Windows FSD’s react with great hostility to file objects they did not create.

I am also aware of at least one Microsoft sourced filter which might also cause issues because it demands to be in the way if it has seen the create.

If you issue a create at a certain level then you HAVE to respect that ordering. Sending a create with an Instance NULL means you send the create at the top of the stack which means that you need to send reads and writes to the top of the stack.

This is not breaking some filter. This is causing a crash because you have broken the architectural constraints.