Not able to open Virtual COM port in some of the Serial Terminals like YAT and Serial Mon

Hi,

I have developed a Windows Virtual COM Port driver based on UMDF 2.15. I am able to open the COM port via some of the well known terminals like Putty, Hyperterminal, Tera-Term, CoolTerm, RealTerm and XCTU. But if I try to open the terminal through some of the terminals like SerialMon and YAT I will get the following error.

**The given port name does not start with COM/com or does not resolve to a valid serial port.

Parameter name: portName
I have also checked in Windows Registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\PORTS that whether the the Virtual COM port is registered properly or not. Under Device parameters I could able to see a key **PortName **with COM port number. I checked for SERIALCOMM key in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM path. In this path also I found that the driver is registered. Also, I checked by installing the driver on COM10, COM11 etc which are more than COM port number 9. But still no success.

My questions are,

1. If other terminals are able to open the port then what is the problem with these terminals?

2. Is the port name key is case sensitive? The error I am getting in these terminals has** ‘portName’** whereas the key registered on the windows registry has ‘PortName’ with **p **as upper case. Could it be a problem? I changed some code in driver after creating symbolic link to change the key name to lower case p. But It did not work.

3. Since it is a Virtual Port those terminals are not able to open it?? Do they support only physical port??

Please help me to solve this issue.

Registry key names are not case sensitive. I suppose you could use Process Monitor to track the system calls and see what it doesn’t like. It may be reading the names from somewhere else.

1 Like

(1) YAT is a free, opensource software. You’re welcome to find and fix the problem.
Looks that this is a “feature” of .NET System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.

1 Like