What is the best book to learn programming a miniport driver for reading and writing to disk?

I really want to learn how to program miniport and learn how can i write a miniport driver that works with a port driver to read and write to disk and such

I have read windows internals and windows kernel programming but they don’t explain these lower layers much, specially programming in them, so i am open to any book suggestion that helps me understand and program in these layers

the reason i say book is because some 10-20 page blog post might not go too much detail, i don’t care if its a 1000 page book i just want to learn all the details, and i also want the details in the book to still hold in the newer windows operating systems like windows 7/8/10 so i can program in them too

thanks any suggestion is appreciated!

(Moving to NTDEV … NTFSD is about file systems and filters)

I’m not aware of any book…, not even a bad one… on this topic.

Peter

1 Like

Unfortunately, there is not a book on the subject. Having worked on ScsiPort, StorPort, and Virtual Storport drivers, you learn something from all of them. Same with the hardware, a regular SCSI controller has programming requires that are different than an NVME controller, and are far different than sending packets over a communication link.

The only way to learn is to work in the area. There are some good (and a lot of bad) samples of storage miniport drivers out there, so start studying. On what is good and bad this forum can provide advice.

1 Like