Detect specific Alternate Data Stream

In PreCreate I’d like to know if a particular Alternate Data Stream exists. The only way I can think to check for this is FltCreateFile, but I’m concerned about the performance impact this might have when doing this on every file open (not directories, not paging file, but just about everything else).

Is there a better way?

Thanks
Doug

I’m not aware of of any.

Last time I checked:

1. You cannot send only send down a FileQueryStat or a FileQueryStatLx to FltQueryInformationByName() (so not FileQueryStreamInformation which would tell you)
  2. Neither of those two information classes give you stream count (a stream count of 1 would mean it doesn’t exist).

On the other hand sending a create which will mostly fail might not hurt too much - and it might have the side effect of charging enough of NTFS’s caches to make the following MJ_CREATE faster.

Of course file system type is a good predictor but I’m assuming you have already factored that out.

> 1. You cannot send only send down a FileQueryStator a FileQueryStatLx to

FltQueryInformationByName() (so not FileQueryStreamInformation which would
tell you)
What is FileQueryStat/Lx?
There isn’t even a single Google result on it :wink:

On the other hand sending a create which will mostly fail might not hurt too
much - and it might have the side effect of charging enough of NTFS’s caches
to make the following MJ_CREATE faster.
No. The biggest impact is the actual call to open/create/replace a
file. Disk I/O plays a minor role in general, and especially in the
case of opening the ADS.

At best, you can hope that the parent directory is cached, and the the
disk I/O impact is minimal, but absolutely nothing else.

And the impact is not trivial. It would not be noticed by a typical
home user, surfing the web. But we had cases where a simple Photoshop
session had abysmal performance because of this.

What we did as the only possible mitigation, that we could think of,
is to query existence of an ADS only in certain folders, e.g. document
folders - that made a major difference.
Granted, this was a decade ago, but we were using SLC SSDs for testing
at the time, so the impact is still big. Factor in Windows 10
bloatness, and how big apps are today (especially how heavy file I/O
intensive they are!), and it might even be worse today than back then.
At the time, I could even figure the entire Office installation within
seconds - today, I cannot even figure typing a character in the Start
Menu’s Search box (i.e. there is SO much f***ing open/close, that it
is ridicolous).

What is FileQueryStat/Lx?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. These have been a bit of a thorn in my side for long enough that I assumed that my shorthand would be ‘understood by everyone’ which of course is ridiculous.

You can see FileStatInformation and FileStatLxInformation in recent (Win10 on?) WDM.H

They can be used in a new syscall called something like NtQueryInformationByName() or some such and appear to be there to allow WSL to do the Un*x syscall stat().

As far as file system minifilters are concerned you could think of term as being like a different way to do IRP_MJ_NETWORK_QUERY_OPEN complete with a complete different way of handling it (right down to a different return status to indicate ‘I do not handle it’).

If you cannot handle this call then the IoSubsystem will in turn issue a Create/QueryInfo/Close triple.

Fun fact. When I looked (and it may still be true) WSL used them a great deal and in particular it liked to send down an query with a null name and a handle in the OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES…

Thanks for the comments Rod and Dejan.

I’m mostly trying to do special handling during reads of some files with the ADS attached, and I figured detecting ‘my’ files in PreCreate would be optimal so I could immediately ignore everything else if they weren’t mine. But Dejan is right - there are a heck of a lot of opens constantly occurring. Maybe I need to instead find all possible read paths and do my detection there instead so it ignores all the other opens that never actually read the file. In that case, is FltCreateFile on the ADS the best option, or would FltQueryInformationFile(FileStreamInformation) be more performant?

If this only impacts in the read path, any reason why you cannot do the work in Post Create? Or have I missed something?

For any more specific idea, you need to tell us more as to what your
intent/needs are.

Whether you send IRO_MJ_QUERY_OPEN or FileStatInformation is unimportant.
Both require the same OPEN processing and that is the perfornance
bottleneck.

I see no other way to minimize the impact other than not checking all opens.

Rod, I could do it in PostCreate, but was trying to get out of the way of as much I/O as possible. If I really need to pass through Pre to Post, then might as well defer until Read (I guess?) to avoid the many open/query attribute/close (etc) scenarios that go through. Now to come up with a good way to ensure I don’t need to check on every read of every file (i.e. check once, record it somewhere, then check my recorded info on subsequent reads).

Both require the same OPEN processing and that is the performance bottleneck.
Dejan, you kind of answered my question - either way probably has a similar hit.

I appreciate both of your feedback.

IIRC, you cannot defer to a read. FltCreateFile will not always work
during reads.

Kind regards, Dejan.

That’s good to know.

I’m leaning towards using FltQueryInformationFile(FileStreamInformation) during the read - that way the filter doesn’t need to keep track of or lookup the filename (I think - haven’t gotten that far yet). Also leaning towards using a file stream context to track whether this is a file of interest or not.

Same issue - not callable during some reads.
But you might be onto something… if you do this during Post-create,
you need not open the file, as you already have a handle (and that was
the the most performance killing part of the task).
The FileStreamInformation should be nothing compared to a read, much
less vs. open processing.

Pitty I could not apply this as I needed the results in pre-create.

I’m leaning towards using FltQueryInformationFile(FileStreamInformation)
during the read - that way the filter doesn’t need to keep track of or
lookup the filename (I think - haven’t gotten that far yet). Also leaning
towards using a file stream context to track whether this is a file of
interest or not.

@Doug_N can you describe the problem you’re trying to solve? I understand that you want to know if a file has a particular ADS, but why? Just want to make sure there isn’t a better way to do what you’re trying to accomplish (i.e. if an ADS is actually the right solution).