What is the right way to include new Hardware ID in already existing inbox inf file

Hello Experts,
I am trying to use ufxsynopsys driver as a controller driver for our Intel based hardware. However our device’s Hardware id is not listed in the ufxsynopsys.inf file.
So I am thinking to add our Hardware ID by modifiying the ufxsynopsys.inf and trying to install the driver and it working fine for me. But I wanted to know Is it the right way to include the Hardware ID and install the driver for our device.?
Or do we need to create an extention inf file to add our Hardware ID?
We doesn’t want to add any thing other than Hardware ID. Kindly help us on clarifying this.

Regards
Lokesh

It is never the correct answer to edit an inbox INF. If ufxsynopsys.inf is not matching on any of your device IDs (hardware or compatible), then an extension INF doesn’t make much sense since there is no matching base INF (ufxsynopsys.inf) to extend. Rather you probably want your own complete INF which uses Needs/Include directives to pull in specific sections of ufxsynopsys.inf.

1 Like

Hi Doron Thank you for the response. So I will create another new.inf file where I will copy all the information required to install the ufxsynopsys.sys from ufxsynopsys.inf and I will add my Hardware ID in the new.inf Is this way is good to go?

No, you should not copy from the inbox inf. Instead you use the Needs And Includes directives in your DDInstall, xxx.HW.AddReg, and dddinstall.Services sections to refer to the appropriate sections in the inbox INF. this way you get the latest and correct install directives for the device, the dev node and service(s). There are various WDK samples which show how to do this.

Thank you for the response Doron, I got your points. Regards Lokesh