Windows 10 upgrades

I have a Windows 10 driver that I have signed via Microsoft and I install it just fine. However, when Windows 10 upgrades (recently to 1909) the registry keys to start the driver are missing. The xxxx.sys file was migrated but the registry keys to start the device driver are no longer present.
Is there something special I need to do to keep upgrades from removing the registry keys for the driver?

Thanks

I also noticed that the upgrade deleted the reg keys for some drivers, I think it was for manually installed drivers even if they where signed but it kept INF installed drivers!

I can now report that once again when running Windows update to install Windows 10 2004 it deleted all registry entrys for “manually” installed drivers, that means installing with OsrDriverLoader or double clicking a .reg file! However it does not delete INF installed test drivers.

It also deleted custom drive letters that pointet to 3:d party filesystems!

At the same time I can tell you that the message in the corner on systems with test-signing enabled is not updated with the new build number so you can bee fooled by using that as a quick reference!

Well, this makes sense, right? During a major upgrade, a new, clean, version of Windows is installed. The. The “stuff” that was installed on the old system is migrated to this new system. The method used to identify and install drivers is the INF file.

So, the moral of the story is: Use an INF (like you should).

This hardly seems shocking.

Peter

I also have a FSFD Minifilter driver that is installed manually. Also signed by Microsoft. I updated my Windows 10 version to (I believe) the latest version:20H2 (WinVer: 10.0.19042.746). After I rebooted the Registry Key and Values were still there. Am I missing something?

@“Bo_Brantén” said:
I also noticed that the upgrade deleted the reg keys for some drivers, I think it was for manually installed drivers even if they where signed but it kept INF installed drivers!

I was not able to reproduce this after upgrading to 20H2, the very latest (I believe) according to this page:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/