Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Named Pipes in windows kernel driver in VM and to be accessed in host machine

abdullahtoqeer523abdullahtoqeer523 Member Posts: 3

I am a newbie in driver writing and want to write a driver that runs in VM and create a named pipe inside it and then I need the output of this pipe in my host machine. How can I do this? Need help.

Comments

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,578

Named pipes are not really the right solution. It would be better to ship your data to a user-mode helper for transmission to another host.

There are ways to do TCP socket code in the kernel. What kind of data are you sending?

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• abdullahtoqeer523abdullahtoqeer523 Member Posts: 3

It is just some kind of log that I want to get ,if driver may crash, so before its crashing the windows, all the log I need to place in my host machine to trace its activity.

• Mark_RoddyMark_Roddy Member - All Emails Posts: 4,364

The more typical way to do this is to have a logging ringbuffer in your driver that you can extract from a crash dump.

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,016

Or, you know, use the built in logging ring buffer that WPP’s IFR provides.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Mark_RoddyMark_Roddy Member - All Emails Posts: 4,364

I've basically never considered the ETW logging and its related nonsense useful. But that is just my opinion.

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,016

I used to agreed with you. But... It’s actually become useful over time. If you haven’t done so in a while, you might wanna have another look.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers