What is the best driver model for implementing support for custom hot-plug controller?

I have a fairly new hot-plug controller that I bought some time ago because it was cheap. it was just sitting around.
It is custom programming interface and needs a driver for Windows to use it.

Somebody designed this using a FPGA and gave it to me. It powers up.

Anyways, I decided to write a driver for it just for the fun of it so I can use it with windows 10.
It has M.2 and old OHCI controller (Is this USB 1.1?).
This is a very wierd combination
Upstream is old PCI so I need a system with a PCie to PCI bridge, I realize

Anyways, I am thinking I will need to write a bus driver that enumerates the PDO for the downstream devices as they are detected and plugged and presents them to Windows.
I would like to start off with KMDF model.

Is a bus driver good enough?. Or do I need to do anything else?.

Thanks,
RK

Have you plugged it in?

Why do you think you need to write a bus driver for this device?

What does the PCI Config Descriptor on the device say?

Peter

The classcode has value of 0xff for programming interface which means Windows will not load a driver for it. Under what conditions would Windows load a driver for it?. I did not think Windows came with a standard driver for hot-plug controllers. I am thinking a bus driver is needed because a bunch of devices can be connected downstream and they can come and go. I am not sure how I can avoid writing a driver for it.

To be pedantic, there’s no such thing as a generic “hot-plug controller”. Is this a PCI hot-plug controller, so it has PCI on one end and PCI on the other end? For that, you’d write an INF that maps your vendor and device ID to a PCI bridge. If not, what kinds of devices will be coming and going?

Yes, OHCI is one of the two USB 1.x host controller standards. I assume it has its own vendor and device ID, in which case you can write an INF to map that to a USB host controller.