PFLT_GENERATE_FILE_NAME modifying PFLT_CALLBACK_DATA is allowed?

Hello,

I’m facing a weird problem and need some help to understand what I’m doing wrong (if so).

I have a minifilter that does FileObject hooking/breaking, it intercepts request from above and creates new requests (with new FileObjects) to below minifilters. It records the matching between the upper FileObject and the created FileObject that goes below.

I had some BSODs because my filter didn’t implement the PFLT_GENERATE_FILE_NAME callback and replace the CallbackData->Iopb->TargetFileObject. So the file system (and minifilters below me) were receiving unknown file objects and then it led to BSODs.

I implemented the PFLT_GENERATE_FILE_NAME callback and hooked/replaced its CallbackData->Iopb->TargetFileObject (and called FltSetCallbackDataDirty()) in order to have mini filters below me receive a FileObject they know (so it doesn’t BSOD).

But I’m altering the CallbackData of an ongoing IRP. When the PFLT_GENERATE_FILE_NAME callback is over and the minifilter (above me) that invoked it has the information it wanted, it has a modified TargetFileObject. So this minifilter and all the minifilters until mine will see a TargetFileObject they aren’t supposed to see.

Am I missing something in the documentation? They is no “post callback”/mechanism so that I can put back the TargetFileObject.

Is someone able to tell me where I’m wrong?

If something isn’t clear in my explanations don’t hesitate to ask me to reformulate or for more informations.

Thank you.

I don’t k now the answer to your question, but for my money the definitive documentation for name provider callback is Alex’s Blog which sort of indicates that you cannot change the parameterization on the fly.

I read a lot of his articles, they are very good!
If I can’t change them, then this means I cannot do file object hooking … :confused: ?

You need to satisfy the request yourself instead of letting it flow through the filter stack (as Rod said see Alex’s example). This allows you to change the arguments, make the necessary calls to satisfy the request, and then put the arguments back before returning to Filter Manager. For example, something like this in the name generation callback:

originalFileObject = CallbackData->Iopb->TargetFileObject;
        CallbackData->Iopb->TargetFileObject = targetFileObject;

FltSetCallbackDataDirty(CallbackData);

status = FltGetFileNameInformation(CallbackData,
                                           nameOptions,
                                           &fileNameInfo);

CallbackData->Iopb->TargetFileObject = originalFileObject;

Yes, after re-reading my code I saw the obvious mistake :slight_smile: I just need to put it back.
Thank both of you for your time.