Windows Error Reporting in Windows 10

I know this isn’t a driver issue (apologies if I’ve stepped out of line) but I feel it’s so important to those of us whose programs crash occasionally.

As a new switcher to Windows 10, I’ve just discovered that Windows 10 and Server 2019 by default do not report program crashes to the screen - just to the event viewer. This is dangerous as a user could be unaware that his program has terminated abnormally, and I’m puzzled why Microsoft would make this the default.

The Group Policy Editor allows you to override this:

Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Error Reporting

Change “Prevent display of the user interface for critical errors” from “Not configured” to “Disabled”.

Regards, Richard.

i have no actuial knowledge, but a likely rationalle is that messages like this tend to make non-technical users think / reinforce the idea that Windows is buggy. They also provide no value for technical users who generall know when ‘its not supposed to do that when i click here’ and can find the WER report and or crash dump as required

this tend to make non-technical users think / reinforce the idea that Windows is buggy.

But that’s true :wink: Actually, I hate this trend to cover everything which could “disturb” non-technical users. This is what Apple is doing creating crap for dummies and I thought MS already learnt from the lesson with WM (or WP?) 7.0 when they tried to mimic Apple nonsense and it was total fail which ultimately led to mobile division failure (IMO).

It isn’t necessary to display technical details about the crash but the information there was a crash is important.