Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Is section context referenced in SectionNotificationCallback ?

Sergey_PisarevSergey_Pisarev Member - All Emails Posts: 236

Hello!
I am using FltCreateSectionForDataScan to read file. Now I want to implement SectionNotificationCallback to hold off conflicting io until I am done with the section.
In my worker thread when I finished with the section:
1) close section(ZwClose + ObDereferenceObject)
2) set notification event(located in section context) indicating that I am done with the section
3) call FltCloseSectionForDataScan + FltReleaseContext

If my SectionNotificationCallback gets called I wait for notification event(in section context) and return from SectionNotificationCallback. It is safe to do so if section context additionally referenced before SectionNotificationCallback. If no additional reference taken before SectionNotificationCallback I can wait on invalid memory (section context destroyed already).

Is my solution ok or I can’t assume additional reference in SectionNotificationCallback ?

Comments

• Koby_KahaneKoby_Kahane Member Posts: 11

The section conflict notification callback is called with the section context as an argument and it is guaranteed to remain valid while the callback is in progress.

Note however that if all your conflict callback does is wait for the scanner to be finished, it is actually unnecessary. Filter Manager itself will wait for an existing section context to be closed and retry a conflicting I/O - basically doing the same thing you are doing with your notification event. This will occur even if you have a null callback. The callback can be used for logging or to prematurely terminate an ongoing scan, so a conflicting I/O operation can be retried more quickly.

• Sergey_PisarevSergey_Pisarev Member - All Emails Posts: 236

Thank you very much Koby.

BTW I didn’t get email notification about Koby’s reply.