Problem with ping to VM and Windbg

So basically I am trying to set up windbg for my vm. First of all, my host cannot reach my VM through ping. It says: “destination host unreachable”. Also, windbg shows “waiting to reconnect”. I have been going through google for 2 hours now, and I can’t find a solution. my VM is connected with NAT.

Yep, that’s why. With NAT, your VM can dial out, but no one can dial in. That’s Just like your regular corporate network. You can either use “bridged” networking, or you can use a fake serial port. That option works pretty will with a VM.

> @Tim_Roberts said: > Yep, that’s why. With NAT, your VM can dial out, but no one can dial in. That’s Just like your regular corporate network. You can either use “bridged” networking, or you can use a fake serial port. That option works pretty will with a VM. But without NAT, I can’t use windbg. I’m trying to set up NET debugging

But without NAT, I can’t use windbg. I’m trying to set up NET debugging.

Why do you say you need NAT? Where did you read that? Using NAT is like having your debug host out on the internet with your debug target inside your firewall. NAT lets the target reach outside, but no one from the outside can get through the firewall. As you have seen, you cannot “ping” into a NAT connection. Most of the advice on the net suggests using a “host-only” network.

@Tim_Roberts said:

But without NAT, I can’t use windbg. I’m trying to set up NET debugging.

Why do you say you need NAT? Where did you read that? Using NAT is like having your debug host out on the internet with your debug target inside your firewall. NAT lets the target reach outside, but no one from the outside can get through the firewall. As you have seen, you cannot “ping” into a NAT connection. Most of the advice on the net suggests using a “host-only” network.

My virtual machine does not have any connection with host only option enabled. Also, still “waiting to reconnect”.

I would still like to know why you think you need NAT. Did you read that on a web site?

I don’t think you can change the network option while the VM is running. Did you stop it first?

@Tim_Roberts said:
I would still like to know why you think you need NAT. Did you read that on a web site?

I don’t think you can change the network option while the VM is running. Did you stop it first?

NAT used to work for me. Also, I got it to work, but I have been having waiting to reconnect problems after getting it to work for a short period of time.