Device has unsupported processor, we can't install WinUsb driver

We have WinUsb devices with MSOS descriptors and WinUsb driver which is installed automagically when the device is plugged in. Great idea, all problems with drivers solved. Well, sort of. Recently we found some Win7 computers where it doesn’t work. The problem is in Windows Update which doesn’t find the package for MS_COMP_WINUSB device ID. I spent some time examining WindowsUpdate.log and gave up, there is no apparent problem, it just doesn’t find the package (if anybody have an idea, how to solve it, I’d be glad to hear). On the fresh Win7 installation is works.

Well, worked. Yesterday it stopped work on the same OS installation because of this (WindowsUpdate.log):

2019-09-19          15:08:17:584       1004       bd8        Driver    Matched driver to device USB\VID_XXXX&PID_XXXX&REV_0100
2019-09-19          15:08:17:584       1004       bd8        Driver    Status: 0x1806400, ProblemNumber: 0x00001c
2019-09-19          15:08:17:631       1004       bd8        Agent    WARNING: Only detected non-exempt updates on device with unsupported processor.
2019-09-19          15:08:17:631       1004       bd8        Agent    FATAL: Device has unsupported processor. Return 80240037.

The last error message is one of the craziest I’ve ever read. Explanation of this error is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-windows-version-that

I can understand it influences some security updated but why WinUsb? Which worked few days before. Does it make sense to anybody? It seems as whole machine was moved to “poor” category which receives only some updates but why not WinUsb?

Am I missing something? Any ideas how to solve it?

(yes, I know Zadig, but I really like when all works automagically…)

Michal

My, what a friendly way to handle this. You know, this kind of thing doesn’t happen on Linux, which I’m using more and more.

That’s a bit scary to read it from you, Tim :slight_smile:

this kind of thing doesn’t happen on Linux

No, it doesn’t.

On Linux they just entirely eliminate kernel functions between versions. Much better. Not.

Peter