how do check if network adapter supports windbg kernel debug

I have typed the following commands in admin cmd :
bcdedit /debug on
bcdedit /dbgsettings net hostip:w.x.y.z port:n
and also
bcdedit /set {dbgsettings} busparams b.d.f

but still my windbg on host can NOT connect to target.
I have double checked ip , port, key, and bus number , device number, function, they should be all matching.

So my question is that is there any tool like usbview.exe that can tell if the usb port supports debug?
Or is there any way other than tool to check, i don’t mind writing some code or script as long as it can find out if network adapter support network debug?

Thanks in advance!

Don’t do the USB thing. That only leads to tears.

Are your two machines on the same subnet? WinDbg can’t cross subnets. Did you understand that w.x.y.z is the IP address of the machine running windbg? How did you get the IP address of the debug target? How are you configuring WinDbg? By dialog, or by command line?

Hi Tim Roberts,
1.yes, they are on the same subnet as i do windbg debugging day by day.
2.yes, i understand w.x.y.z is the ip of the host.
3. i don’t think i need to know ip address of debug target, right?
4. from windbg GUI, open file->kernel debug->net , then input port number, key

and by the way i am debugging intel non public released mother board

WinDbg ships with a utility kdnet.exe that will tell you if your NIC supports network debugging. However, I think this is just based on vendor ID/device ID and not any special properties of the NIC.

I see, so you have success, except for this one specific motherboard. Does the chipset have some new network adapter? I suppose you could try plugging in an older net card just for debugging purposes.

and if debugview remote can help my situation ? it seems like debugview can have client running in target system, and let debuview connect to this client to view the kernel log? but how to do this, can NOT find any useful from internet

Why not just plug in another network adapter as Tim suggested?

This intel non public released motherboard has only two pcie slots, one being pcie X 1, other being pcie X 4. And now if i plug in video card into pcie X 1, windows can not detect such video card in device manager and so i can not install driver and debug code using pcie X 1. So i can only use pcie X 4 slot to install video card because this slot can let windows detect my video card . But here is the issue, pcie X 4 slot is so close to pcie X 1, after video card is plugged into pcie X 4 slot, video card’s fan is right above pcie X 1 slot, and so i can not install network adapter.

USB3? I have never tried it but I’ve heard people having good luck with it (unlike USB2, which never really worked).

after video card is plugged into pcie X 4 slot, video card’s fan is right above pcie X 1 slot, and so i can not install network adapter.

If space allows, try to find a PCIe extender adapter or flexible cable.

– pa

Don’t do the USB thing. That only leads to tears.

Are your two machines on the same subnet? WinDbg can’t cross subnets. Did you understand that w.x.y.z is the IP address of the machine running

I’ve had good luck with kernel debug over USB3. It has the occasional hiccup but mostly just works. I do wish firewire was still supported so i didn’t have to switch between USB3 and firewire every time i switch my debug machine from Win10 to Win7> @Tim_Roberts said:
windbg? How did you get the IP address of the debug target? How are you configuring WinDbg? By dialog, or by command line?

The network debug doesn’t seem to work as well for me but it’s been awhile since i tried.

I’ll give the network debug a try if you give the USB3 debug a try Mr. Roberts.

Eric

There is also ‘official’ list of devices supporting KDNET at the msdn: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/supported-ethernet-nics-for-network-kernel-debugging-in-windows-10