What's the difference between "DevCon.exe" and "InfDefaultInstall.exe" for installing .inf ?

I’m planning to deploy my product with Inno Setup, including a driver.
After some searches, I find that DevCon and InfDefaultInstall seem to be able to do this.
What’s the difference between them? Which is better?

I’m not sure what you’re planning, but you can’t redistribute Devcon. It’s contrary to the
MSFT license terms.

Peter

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:
I’m not sure what you’re planning, but you can’t redistribute Devcon. It’s contrary to the
MSFT license terms.

Peter

:confused: Thanks, So I think I have to choose InfDefaultInstall.

I have never heard of anyone depending on InfDefaultInstall in their installer. Why not call DiInstallDriver yourself so you understand if a reboot is needed directly?

@Doron_Holan said:
I have never heard of anyone depending on InfDefaultInstall in their installer. Why not call DiInstallDriver yourself so you understand if a reboot is needed directly?

See here Installation of Callout Drivers,

A callout driver can be installed by right-clicking the driver’s setup information file (INF) file and selecting Install from the pop-up menu that appears.

When you do this, it just call InfDefaultInstall.exe and parse the .inf file full path as param.

So this for me is the simpliest way works with Inno Setup.

You are conflating a developer scenario with a setup/installer scenario. What is good for the developer is not good for the installer. How are you handling the case where you need to reboot when calling InfDefaultInstall?

@Doron_Holan said:
You are conflating a developer scenario with a setup/installer scenario. What is good for the developer is not good for the installer. How are you handling the case where you need to reboot when calling InfDefaultInstall?

I tested the deployment environment and never needed to restart it. During the development and deployment tests, I never restarted and had not any problems.

Then clearly you will never need to handle a reboot

d

Then clearly you will never need to handle a reboot

Post of the week, right there. And it’s only Monday!

That, Mr. Holan, is an impressive achievement.

Peter