SDK sample minispy

Hello,
I’m quite new to driver development and WinDbg but I’m an experienced Windows, Android and CUDA programmer. I just started with driver development two weeks ago and walked through samples like echo and others.

Right now I’m analyzing the “minispy” sample to get familar with miniFilter programming. After built, I copied .sys, .exe and .pdb to the target computer. I can start minispy.exe in a cmd, it works and I’m able to debug with WinDbg. So far everything works perfect!

However, if I start minispy.exe from my development machine via VS2017-Remote-Debugging (LAN, Domain), FilterConnectCommunicationPort(…) returns with an “E_ACCESSDENIED General access denied error.”

Details

• I’m locally logged in at the target as (domain) Administrator. I logged in as MachineName\Administrator, but same error.
  • msvsmon.exe connects via the machineName\Administrator
  • VS2017 Remote-Debugging logs in with the machineName\Administrator credentials

I assume that I have not the right permission on the Traget if I’m using the remote debugger.
Any advise?

Regards
Dietmar

Hello,

Could anyone give me an advise to solve my problem? In the web there are many postings regarding “E_ACCESSDENIED General access denied error.”, however non of them addressed remote debugging.

Cheers

(I would respectfully suggest you wait until the first week of January if you really need an answer. Many of us are on holiday, and not “working” by answering posts to the forum. MAYbe you’ll get lucky and somebody will answer before then. Maybe not. It’s not that we’re not interested, it’s that we’re “away.”)

Peter,
Thank you for your kind reply and sorry it was not my intention to push anyone. I wish you a blessed Christmas and a Happy new Year.