Instructions on tracelogging with kernel drivers

Hello everyone,

I have declared and defined a TraceLogProvider in my kernel driver along with a bunch of TraceLogging messages. The instructions for viewing those TraceLogging events in WinDbg during a live debug session is not clear. I have tried to follow instructions based on these 2 pages from MSDN.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/how-do-i-send-trace-messages-to-a-kernel-debugger-

which says I have to use logman start TraceSession -ets -mode KernelFilter -bs 3

and
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/capture-and-view-tracelogging-data

which I have to use to create a WPRP file to register my Trace Provider.

Right now, with my driver installed and working, logman query providers does not list my driver as a trace provider. I am also not seeing any TraceLogging events in WinDbg.

Also, if I have to register my TraceProvider using wevtutil, how do I do that during driver installation?

Please help!

Regards,
Mridul.

(Cross-posted on WDK forum on MSDN).

I have never viewed TraceLogging traces in WinDbg. I usually use KdPrint or WPP to view in Windbg, and use TraceLogging for recording detailed scenarios.

However, I think you should be seeing your provider, either by name, or by GUID, once your driver is running.

Make sure you called TraceLoggingRegister(g_hMyProvider); in DriverEntry (and TraceLoggingUnregister appropriately)
see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/tracelogging/tracelogging-native-quick-start

If you’ve done this, the provider self registers itself, and the first message sent, has the manifest encoded, so you don’t need wevtutil.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to enable logging then there is something
distinctly lacking in the logging facility.

Mark Roddy

I could not get the WPR recorder to work following the directions. I ended up using logman to start/stop the trace and then the WPA analyzer to view the results.

Bill Wandel

Try this WPRP file. Just replace with your GUID

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<WindowsPerformanceRecorder Version="1.0" Author="Microsoft Corporation" 
    Copyright="Microsoft Corporation" Company="Microsoft Corporation">
  <Profiles>
    <EventCollector Id="EventCollector_DummyCollector" Name="DummyCollector">
      <BufferSize Value="1024" />
      <Buffers Value="256" />
    </EventCollector>

<EventProvider Id="EventProvider_DummyMyProvider" Name="GUID_GOES_HERE" NonPagedMemory="true">
	</EventProvider>

<Profile Id="Dummy.Verbose.File" Name="Dummy" Description="Dummy" LoggingMode="File" DetailLevel="Verbose">
      <Collectors>
        <EventCollectorId Value="EventCollector_MyCollector">
          <EventProviders>
			<EventProviderId Value="EventProvider_MyProvider">
			</EventProviderId>
          </EventProviders>
        </EventCollectorId>
      </Collectors>
    </Profile>

<Profile Id="Dummy.Light.File" Name="Dummy" Description="Dummy" Base="Dummy.Verbose.File" LoggingMode="File" DetailLevel="Light" />    
    <Profile Id="Dummy.Verbose.Memory" Name="Dummy" Description="Dummy" Base="Dummy.Verbose.File" LoggingMode="Memory" DetailLevel="Verbose" />	      
    <Profile Id="Dummy.Light.Memory" Name="Dummy" Description="Dummy" Base="Dummy.Verbose.File" LoggingMode="Memory" DetailLevel="Light" />    
  </Profiles>
</WindowsPerformanceRecorder>

The file you included is not here.

Thanks,
Bill Wandel

@Bill_Wandel said:
The file you included is not here.

Thanks,
Bill Wandel

I included the code inline

Only the first line made it through.

Thanks,
Bill

Try opening the webpage directly

I got it. I will try this later this week.
Thanks,
Bill