Disk filter driver question

Are there any IRP read/write(or change) disk sector content without using IRP_MJ_READ/IRP_MJ_WRITE ?

Yes. There are several, if you consider every possible disk sector and every possible operation.

First consider the pass-through operations, then things like format.

What requests you will see also depends where you’re filtering. You said “disk filter” but not whether you’re filtering above or below the disk.

Peter

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:
Yes. There are several, if you consider every possible disk sector and every possible operation.

First consider the pass-through operations, then things like format.

What requests you will see also depends where you’re filtering. You said “disk filter” but not whether you’re filtering above or below the disk.

Peter

The fact is that the disk driver translate IRP to SRB and send it to next lower driver(usually port driver).
So , I think no matter what disk filter layer to filter , upper or lower, there are certainly other driver which pass-through(may use SRB directly) the filter driver and disk driver.
Am I right ?

What do you mean about “pass-through operations” ? Please tell me in detail, thanks.

Hey , Peter,
I think I get the concept “pass-through request” you said above. Do you mean some ioctl such as IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT ?

Yes.