Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

BSOD occurring in ERAM (Open Source RAMDisk driver)

2»

Comments

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 12,914
    via Email
    Zero3K wrote:
    > All I saw is that MmGetSystemAddressForMdlsafe should be used instead of MmGetSystemAddressForMdl. I tried that and it didn't compile.

Yes.  And your next step should have been to look at the documentation,
    which would have shown you that the Safe version requires an extra
    parameter.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Zero3KZero3K Member MODERATED Posts: 24
    edited November 2018

Okay. I should've searched for it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now to see if it BSOD's again or not.

• Don_BurnDon_Burn Member - All Emails Posts: 1,649
    via Email
    Don't worry it will BSOD again, I didn't jump into the conversation earlier but I had gotten curious and run some code analysis on the driver, my guess is you have at least 500 more lines to fix. And of course once you do that you still will have a driver that was written for an obsolete model as has been pointed out way to many times in this thread. No, I am not going to post my analysis, that would be like sticking wings on a pig (check the OSR websites for the reference).

Don Burn
    Windows Driver Consulting
  • Mark_RoddyMark_Roddy Member - All Emails Posts: 4,305
    via Email
    Oh the ram disk is a great add on to the buffer cache. What better way to
    ensure data loss and file corruption than lying about when things have
    actually been written to non volatile storage?

Mark Roddy
  • Zero3KZero3K Member MODERATED Posts: 24
    edited November 2018

Don_Burn: It hasn't BSOD again (so far). The only issue I am running into now is that after copying some files, it stops allowing files to be copied when its formatted with a FAT32 file system (it just either gets stuck copying or gives an error for the rest of the files).

Mark_Roddy: I know how RAM Disks work. Which is why I am using Drive Snapshot to back it up every night and on restarting (if possible) and then restore it before the rest of the programs that run on start are ran.

Post edited by Zero3K on
  • Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 7,138
    edited November 2018

This is a fools errand.

Helping random users fix problems in code they know nothing about, using skills they prefer not to have, is NOT THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM.

I’m as sympathic to the OPs plight as the next guy, but this thread is totally and completely off topic. We don’t cater for end users, with no kernel development skillls, who need to refactor a driver. That’s not the goal of this forum.

So... I’m closing/locking this topic.

Sorry... but this is pointless and I do t want this forum to become “I don’t know how to write drivers, please tell me what to type”... any more than it already is.

Discussion hereby closed. OP put on moderation.

Pete

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upcoming OSR Seminars
Writing WDF Drivers 25 Feb 2019 OSR Seminar Space
Developing Minifilters 8 April 2019 OSR Seminar Space