Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

[Minifilter] Serial Number in IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY

qwnqwn Member - All Emails Posts: 18
What is the serial number returned in IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY, it does not seem to be the same as the serial number for some devices.

Where is this serial number stored? and will it change once i reformat the device?

Thanks.

Comments

• qwnqwn Member - All Emails Posts: 18
    So i checked on some other Usb devices as well and here is the result.

This is what i see :

C:\Windows\system32>wmic diskdrive get pnpdeviceid
    PNPDeviceID
    USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_STORAGE_MEDIA&REV_PMAP\5C3000637C2070A595&0
    USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_BM&PROD_&REV_1.10\070007AA1F02CF40063F&0

And these are the serial numbers returned from my minifilter :

Serial Number found 57C03A050905
    Serial Number found 070007AA1F02CF400630

So what is the serial number that my minifilter is returning?
  • qwnqwn Member - All Emails Posts: 18
    OK so I just tested on my external harddisk and this is what i get from my device manager

and from my minifilter:
    WX41A7654VVV

it seems that the serial number in the device manager is hex representation of the serial number which i got from my minifilter

57 58 34 31 41 37 36 35 34 56 56 56
    W X 4 1 A 7 6 5 4 V V V

so for some devices it is represented in Hex format while others is Char format?

I think calling a user application is the only solution at this point for me.
  • Slava_ImameevSlava_Imameev Member Posts: 480
    The request is propagated down the device stack. The first driver/filter that completes it reports some ID. This might not be a valid hardware ID in all cases.

Also, some devices do not have a unique hardware ID. If a unique ID is requested the driver provides a software generated ID. In case of USB devices this ID has the '&' symbol.
  • Nikhil_V_SNikhil_V_S Member - All Emails Posts: 58

@qwn
    can you please tell me the logic of the conversion
    57 58 34 31 41 37 36 35 34 56 56 56 <==> W X 4 1 A 7 6 5 4 V V V