Why don't I receive mails I posted?

And it seems the same applies to A&A, too. I haven’t received this post by mail :confused:

It seems that the community does not send you your own posts.

You’re getting other people’s posts, right?

Peter

Right, just got yours. But originally it worked and I received my own posts…

Michal

But originally it worked and I received my own posts

Really? Hmmm…

I’ll ask the support folks.

Peter

Thanks. Does it mean it doesn’t work just for me and you and others receive your own posts?

Michal

I’ve never receive my own posts… so, I thought it just always worked that way.

Peter

OK… I just checked and I can see 2 of my posts received after the list change. Both on the very beginning before you fixed the prefix problem.

Anyway, it should work, shouldn’t it? It always worked for OSR lists before change and worked for all mailing lists I’ve ever used. Maybe it is some setting somewhere.

I think it is both natural and useful. If I use list just via e-mail as I do, I want to see my own mail as a confirmation is was really received and also to have full conversation when I return to it in the future.

Michal

Anyway, it should work, shouldn’t it?

I don’t know about “should”… I agree the option would be nice to have. This is an entirely new, entirely different, system… and support for email is not its primary focus.

Like I said, I’ll ask the support folks and see what they say.

Peter

(and just to close the loop… I have submitted a query to our Customer Success Manager on this topic. No, I’m not kidding. That’s really her title: “Customer Success Manager”)

Michal_Vodicka wrote:

Right, just got yours. But originally it worked and I received my own posts…

Not with the new software, you didn’t.  It has NEVER sent out
notifications for self posts.

The philosophy is just very different from the mailing list.  These
email messages are not intended to be an echo of the online thread.
They’re just courtesy notifications that “this thread has changed”. The
site figures that you already know about something you posted.

Now, maybe in the earliest days, your online persona was not fully
connected to your email address, and so it didn’t recognize that you
were the author

> -----Original Message-----

From: Tim_Roberts [mailto:osr+d290726-s6030753@vanillacommunity.email]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:14 PM
To: Michal_Vodicka
Subject: Re: [Announcements and Administration] Why don’t I receive mails I
posted?

The philosophy is just very different from the mailing list. These
email messages are not intended to be an echo of the online thread.
They’re just courtesy notifications that “this thread has changed”. The
site figures that you already know about something you posted.

OK, I see but for me it is step back. For this type of discussions I prefer the mailing list but well, it is just me. Anyway, if it can send mails it is easier to send all than filter out own messages. As a programmer, if I implement something like this, I’d add an option to turn it off. Maybe there is one and it is turned on by default.

Let’s see what Customer Success Manager says :wink:

Now, maybe in the earliest days, your online persona was not fully
connected to your email address, and so it didn’t recognize that you
were the author

Maybe. I really checked and have 2 own mails after the switch.

Michal

Michal_Vodicka wrote:

OK, I see but for me it is step back. For this type of discussions I prefer the mailing list but well, it is just me.

Oh, I agree completely.  I see the philosophy, so I can explain why it
happens, but I hate it.  Forums are a great way to archive information
for the future, but in my view they are a terrible way of doing daily
information exchange like this.

Honestly, I’d still be using NNTP if the Microsoft forums supported it.

I’d still be using NNTP if the Microsoft forums supported it

I’d still be on CompuServe, if it was still around. The driver development support there was excellent.

Thus spake our CSM regarding the ability of users to receive their own posts:

I don’t believe that to be possible. Even when a customer comments on their own post, a notification is not triggered . I’m sorry about that.

I’ve submitted an enhancement request, which, given all the other enhancement requests, we should hold out no hope of seeing implemented in our lifetime.

Peter

> -----Original Message-----

s6030753@vanillacommunity.email]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 2:15 PM
To: Michal_Vodicka
Subject: Re: [Announcements and Administration] Why don’t I receive mails I
posted?

I’ve submitted an enhancement request, which, given all the other
enhancement requests, we should hold out no hope of seeing implemented
in our lifetime.

Thanks, Peter. I guess I’ll have to learn how to live with it :slight_smile:

Michal

Sorry Mr. Vodicka… I guess we have to give-up some things to get some things. Time marches on…

Peter

Not a big issue. I raised this question because I thought it is a bug. Haven’t realized it can be a feature :slight_smile:

Michal

Michal_Vodicka wrote:

OSR http://osr.vanillacommunities.com/
Michal_Vodicka commented on Why don’t I receive mails I posted?

Not a big issue. I raised this question because I thought it is a bug. Haven’t realized it can be a feature

In fact it sounds like a *missing* feature, rather than a feature. It
has always been good to be able to archive an email thread on an
interesting topic, but now that isn’t possible anymore if I’ve
contributed myself to the discussion. :frowning:

Martin

In fact it sounds like a missing feature, rather than a feature

I hear you. You don’t like not getting your own posts via email. I get that. Of course, you’ve made exactly one post to this list (at least under your current username), and that was a year ago. So it shouldn’t bother you TOO much, right? :wink:

The fact of the matter is, I didn’t like either hosting or maintaining a site with OS, database, and application software that were more than 15 years old… and a forum interface that was written by me (an exclusively kernel mode dev), in my spare time, in an outdated and unsupported version of a hideoulsy old web scripting language called Cold Fusion.

Sooooo… from MY point of view, what we have here is wonderful, and a vast improvement. It is neither Lyris nor ListServe… but it’s not intended to be. We should see some new features in the next year or so that will make the email handling more flexible… and if we’re REALLY lucky maybe we’ll see the “get your own posts” feature implemented. But, to be honest, I’m not holding my breath.

I hope that helps elucidate my perspective on the world and why I’m not particularly upset over whether or not folks receive their own posts. I wish everyone could be happy. Sadly, that’s rarely possible.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) wrote:

OSR https://community.osr.com/
Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) commented on Why don’t I receive mails I posted?

> In fact it sounds like a missing feature, rather than a feature

I hear you. You don’t like not getting your own posts via email. I get that.

Thanks.

Of course, you’ve made exactly one post to this list (at least under your current username), and that was a year ago. So it shouldn’t bother you TOO much, right? :wink:

Hm, that doesn’t sound correct to me. If I remember correctly I posted a
few messages to NTDEV. Not many, but more than one. :wink:

Many posts on NTDEV are written by folks who are much more familiar with
Windows driver development than I am, so I can’t contribute very much.
Anyway, it’s always interesting to read the discussions, and to learn
from them how to handle specific situations and solve specific problems.

The fact of the matter is, I didn’t like either hosting or maintaining a site with OS, database, and application software that were more than 15 years old… and a forum interface that was written by me (an exclusively kernel mode dev), in my spare time, in an outdated and unsupported version of a hideoulsy old web scripting language called Cold Fusion.

Sooooo… from MY point of view, what we have here is wonderful, and a vast improvement. It is neither Lyris nor ListServe… but it’s not intended to be. We should see some new features in the next year or so that will make the email handling more flexible… and if we’re REALLY lucky maybe we’ll see the “get your own posts” feature implemented. But, to be honest, I’m not holding my breath.

I hope that helps elucidate my perspective on the world and why I’m not particularly upset over whether or not folks receive their own posts. I wish everyone could be happy. Sadly, that’s rarely possible.

I completely understand you, and it was not at all my intention to
bother you.

If I understood correctly then the new system is a complete solution,
and it’s just my opinion that a feature is missing, so I hope the
developers of the forum software might add it later.

Even if I haven’t posted much here on OSR, I’m sometimes active in some
other discussion lists where I use to archive interesting discussions,
including my own posts.

Regards,

Martin

Hm, that doesn’t sound correct to me. If I remember correctly I posted a
few messages to NTDEV.

And, you are of correct, Mr. Burnicki … as I could have seen from the number of posts shown next to your username in the forum! As of this moment, you’ve started one new thread and provided 16 replies. Which, quite honestly, is an admirable ratio of asking questions to answering threads started by others to help other folks.

So, thanks for your participation (I really mean that). Like I said, I really wish we could have every feature. But it took us three years of searching to choose this platform, and it really was the best we could find.

Peter