Where is ntddk.h, or what do I do without it?

I upgraded to WDK and SDK 10.0.17709.0. One of my files does #include “ntddk.h”, which worked in 17134.0. This file is not found in 17709.

What should I do to get the definitions I need from ntddk?

Your install of so,etching is broken. NTDDK.H hasn?t gone anywhere.

Remove and reinstall VS, SDK, and WDK. Sorry, that?s all that?s ever worked for me in these circumstances.

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

Thanks as always, Peter. I’ll remove and reinstall everything. If that doesn’t work, I’ll be back.

Some other questions, though. When I downloaded the WDK, I didn’t have a choice about which version I had. The install app gave me 17709. Is this because it matches my Windows OS version?

Also, I have both VS Professional and VS Professional Preview 5.

If I reinstall VS and VS Preview, will they keep my settings, etc.?

I’m still trying to figure out what a so,etching is.

Mark Roddy

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:07 PM xxxxx@osr.com
wrote:

> Your install of so,etching is broken. NTDDK.H hasn?t gone anywhere.
>
> Remove and reinstall VS, SDK, and WDK. Sorry, that?s all that?s ever
> worked for me in these circumstances.
>
> Peter
> OSR
> @OSRDrivers
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> Visit the list online at: <
> http://www.osronline.com/showlists.cfm?list=ntdev&gt;
>
> MONTHLY seminars on crash dump analysis, WDF, Windows internals and
> software drivers!
> Details at http:
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at <
> http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer&gt;
></http:>

Wait!!

I *just now* read what you wrote more carefully.

I upgraded to WDK and SDK 10.0.17709.0

17709?? This would be a PREVIEW build of the WDK, right?

Ugh. Yeah… don’t do that. Seriously. And if you DO, *never* do it on your real, actual, development system (except in a VM or a Container or something).

The WDK versions are very closely tied to VS versions. While the headers and libs can be “side by side” for a particular version, the tools are not.

I, personally, have had to entirely flatten and rebuild my development system because I had the temerity to install a preview build of VS and the WDK. Even removing them and reinstalling the older versions did not help.

Preview Builds: Go for it, but in a VM only!

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

P.S. And, I assure you, NTDDK.H didn’t go anyway even in the newer WDK. It is entirely possible, however, that the headers/libs are broken in the preview release. I haven’t checked this.

Interesting thing. I removed VS Prof Preview, then reinstalled it. I then got WDK from the download site and ran the install, and this time, it gave me the 17134.0 version and installed it.
I still had the non-Preview VS installed, and the WDK install did not offer to integrate WDK with that VS, only with the Preview VS.
I haven’t had time to do anything more yet. I’ll remove and reinstall both the 17134 and the 17709 SDK versions. If ntddk is missing from the 17709 I’ll let you know and you can pass it on to Microsoft.
I don’t need the Preview version. I thought I would need it because I had a compile error that was reported to be a bug and fixed in the Preview, but I still got the error. The error was mine. I had a template parameter that had the same name as a template class in the same scope; I don’t know if this is really an error in the code or a bug in the compiler, but changing the parameter’s name made the problem go away.
I do like the Preview because it has a nicer text editor scrollbar. So I’ll see if I can use Preview with SDK and WDK 17134. This might not work, as you have indicated above, but I’ll report any problems I have with it here.
Thanks for the ideas. Michael

Are you basically saying that VS Preview is buggy and not intended for production work?

I have no idea how I wound up with SDK 17709 before. I tried to install it again but I couldn’t even find it on the MS web site, and a web search for SDK 10.0.17709.0 came up empty.
Strange.
So I can’t tell you if 17709 actually came with ntddk.h or not. When I uninstalled 17709, the folder where the files were kept was removed.

xxxxx@rolle.name wrote:

Are you basically saying that VS Preview is buggy and not intended for production work?

No one is asserting that the VS Preview is buggy, but it is CERTAINLY
true that it is not intended for production work.  This has ALWAYS been
true of preview releases.  Their documentation always includes multiple
warnings about that.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.