HLK - empty test list after applying playlist

I’m testing a software device driver for unclassified certification submission. After applying the official playlist the test list goes empty. Can I submit such package for certification? Thanks!

Are you seriously asking if you can submit the results of running no tests and expect that to be get signed by as passing the HCKs?

If so, the answer is “no” – If that’s NOT what you’re asking, can you please provide us some more details.

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

Yes I was seriously asking that and in fact I already submitted with empty package and received signed binaries, so that works fine FYI.

Sooooo… you run no tests, none at all, and you submit a package showing that… and you get back a WCK signed binary?

Seriously?

If that’s the case, you’ve either found the coolest loophole or the scariest vulnerability anybody has heard of in the signing program. You viewpoint will dictate how you see this one…

Please. Say more!

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

I think it actually makes total sense. This particular driver (which is unclassified submission, so the requirements are lower) apparently doesn’t require any tests, and Microsoft certifies that fact.

I used to successfully submit empty packages before as well, this just was the first time I applied playlist.

I mean what else am I supposed to do if Studio shows 0 tests to run for my driver?

On Jun 14, 2018, at 7:43 PM, xxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I think it actually makes total sense. This particular driver (which is unclassified submission, so the requirements are lower) apparently doesn’t require any tests, and Microsoft certifies that fact.

Not so. The CHAOS tests, for example, do generic load/unload/surprise/remove/readd/rebalance tests that ALL drivers need to pass. Even the power management tests – like recovering from standby, suspend, or hibernate – apply to all drivers.

> I mean what else am I supposed to do if Studio shows 0 tests to run for my driver?

I suppose we’ll find out.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

>>Not so. The CHAOS tests, for example, do generic
load/unload/surprise/remove/readd/rebalance tests that ALL drivers need to pass.

While this applies to most of the drivers it’s not true for all of them. I certified a number of drivers that didn’t have CHAOS test in the list of tests to execute.

Unfortunately I can’t share the driver INF file or certification logs because I signed NDA and without that information we can just speculate. Most important outcome here is that you can submit empty package for certification for some types of drivers.

>Unfortunately I can’t share the driver INF file or certification logs

Nobody is asking you to.

But nothing in your NDA prevents you from discussing the overall, general, type of device/driver for which you had this result.

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers