Windows 10 USB 3.0 kernel debug speed?

Hello list,

I have a quick question: is it normal for two Windows 10 machines with native USB 3.0 chipsets known to be slow?

A full memory dump is transferring at 5.1MB/s from a PC running 17123 to one running 16299 with a USB 3.0 A-A cable. That’s 12 times slower than the expected bandwidth over USB 2.0 and certainly nowhere near the expected USB 3.0 throughput.

Good drivers are installed on both hosts, they exhibit no such pathological behavior communicating with a regular USB 3.0 end point.

Thanks,

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi
NeoSmart Technologies

On Mar 18, 2018, at 8:55 AM, xxxxx@NeoSmart.net xxxxx@lists.osr.com wrote:

I have a quick question: is it normal for two Windows 10 machines with native USB 3.0 chipsets known to be slow?

A full memory dump is transferring at 5.1MB/s from a PC running 17123 to one running 16299 with a USB 3.0 A-A cable. That’s 12 times slower than the expected bandwidth over USB 2.0 and certainly nowhere near the expected USB 3.0 throughput.

Good drivers are installed on both hosts, they exhibit no such pathological behavior communicating with a regular USB 3.0 end point.

I would tend to blame the A-A cable. That’s not a standard USB device class, so you’re at the mercy of the cable hardware designer. If they have a processor doing the work, that will slow things down.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.