DeviceIoControl with direct I/O and two buffers

Just curious, in case I decide to use this in the future, or for other people to see on this list.

If the user calls DeviceIoControl with both an input and an output buffer, how is the driver to know which is which?

The IRP should have an MDL for the user buffer. If the caller actually has only an input or an output buffer, the MDL would point to that one buffer. If there are two buffers, then I expect a chain of two MDLs. Is this correct, and which MDL is the input and which MDL is the output?

I looked for an answer in Windows Internals, both 6th and 7th editions. If the answer is actually in there, please let me know.

xxxxx@rolle.name wrote:

Just curious, in case I decide to use this in the future, or for other people to see on this list.

If the user calls DeviceIoControl with both an input and an output buffer, how is the driver to know which is which?

The IRP should have an MDL for the user buffer. If the caller actually has only an input or an output buffer, the MDL would point to that one buffer.

Not so.  It’s a little complicated.

If there are two buffers, then I expect a chain of two MDLs. Is this correct, and which MDL is the input and which MDL is the output?

The Microsoft documentation describes this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/buffer-descriptions-for-i-o-control-codes

The key point to remember is that buffers are not symmetrical.  The
“input buffer” is always copied into kernel memory (except for
METHOD_NEITHER, which I will ignore).  If you are using direct I/O, the
MDL points to the output buffer.  The terms “input buffer” and “output
buffer” are a little bit misleading; I tend to think of them as “buffer
#1” and “buffer #2”.

Method             Input       Output

METHOD_BUFFERED    Copied      Copied
METHOD_IN_DIRECT   Copied      Mappedw/MDL
METHOD_OUT_DIRECT  Copied      Mapped w/MDL
METHOD_NEITHER     Nothing     Nothing

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

>If the user calls DeviceIoControl with both an input and an output buffer, how
is the driver to know which is which?
wow…i just know this
PIO_STACK_LOCATION irp = IoGetCurrentIrpStackLocation(pIrp);//get stack
ULONG Io_Control_Code = irp->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.IoControlCode;//this is u ControlCode
ULONG Input_Lenght = irp->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.InputBufferLength;//input buffer lenght
ULONG Output_Lenght = irp->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.OutputBufferLength;//output buffer lenght
pIrp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer//input buffer in here
u dont need know which is which
if u need user mode input buffer.copy from AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer
if u need output to usermode .copy to AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer
that is

On Feb 28, 2018, at 7:00 PM, processhacker@163.com wrote:
>>
> wow…i just know this
> PIO_STACK_LOCATION irp = IoGetCurrentIrpStackLocation(pIrp);//get stack
> ULONG Io_Control_Code = irp->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.IoControlCode;//this is u ControlCode
> ULONG Input_Lenght = irp->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.InputBufferLength;//input buffer lenght
> ULONG Output_Lenght = irp->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.OutputBufferLength;//output buffer lenght
> pIrp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer//input buffer in here
> u dont need know which is which
> if u need user mode input buffer.copy from AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer
> if u need output to usermode .copy to AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer
> that is

That’s only true for METHOD_BUFFERED. For METHOD_IN_DIRECT and METHOD_OUT_DIRECT, you absolutely do need to know which is which.

Tim, your answer still leaves me confused.

The Microsoft page you gave says…
METHOD_IN_DIRECT or METHOD_OUT_DIRECT
For these transfer types, IRPs supply a pointer to a buffer at Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer. This represents the input buffer that is specified in calls to DeviceIoControl and IoBuildDeviceIoControlRequest. The buffer size is specified by Parameters.DeviceIoControl.InputBufferLength in the driver’s IO_STACK_LOCATION structure.

For these transfer types, IRPs also supply a pointer to an MDL at Irp->MdlAddress. This represents the output buffer that is specified in calls to DeviceIoControl and IoBuildDeviceIoControlRequest. However, this buffer can actually be used as either an input buffer or an output buffer, as follows:

METHOD_IN_DIRECT is specified if the driver that handles the IRP receives data in the buffer when it is called. The MDL describes an input buffer, and specifying METHOD_IN_DIRECT ensures that the executing thread has read-access to the buffer.

METHOD_OUT_DIRECT is specified if the driver that handles the IRP will write data into the buffer before completing the IRP. The MDL describes an output buffer, and specifying METHOD_OUT_DIRECT ensures that the executing thread has write-access to the buffer.

For both of these transfer types, Parameters.DeviceIoControl.OutputBufferLength specifies the size of the buffer that is described by the MDL.

On the other hand, The Windows 2000 Device Driver Book says that IN is for moving data from the device into user space, and OUT is for the opposite direction. I assume that this is wrong. But I want to confirm that.

CodeProject has a page about METHOD_XXX and it agrees with you and with the microsoft doc. It stresses the fact that the ‘lpInBuffer’ buffer is always copied to the driver as though using METHOD_BUFFERED, and the ‘lpOutBuffer’ is always mapped via the MDL. The only difference between IN and OUT is in having read vs. write access to the lpOutBuffer.

This is really what you wrote, but I’m putting it into my own words somewhat more verbosely.

If I’ve got anything wrong, please post a correction. Otherwise I’m happy with the answer.

@Tim,

The key point to remember is that buffers are not symmetrical.
The “input buffer” is always copied into kernel memory (except for METHOD_NEITHER, which I will ignore).
If you are using direct I/O, the MDL points to the output buffer.? The terms “input buffer” and “output buffer” are a little bit misleading;

Is your above comment a rule or there could be some exception?
I am working on handling of IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT

MS doc below seems are saying output buffer are the same as input buffer (Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ddi/content/ntddscsi/ni-ntddscsi-ioctl_scsi_pass_through_direct

======
Input Buffer Length

Parameters.DeviceIoControl.InputBufferLength indicates the size, in bytes, of the buffer at Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer,

Output Buffer

The port driver returns any request-sense data and the SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT structure to the buffer at Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer.

This is more confusing than it is complicated. And this is yet ANOTHER reason why you should be writing your drivers using WDF, which abstracts all this stupidity.

It takes 30 minutes to explain this in driver class. And lots of people remain confused.

It might help to understand that the original intent of the IN buffer was for passing parameters and small data structures into the driver. The original intent of the OUT buffer was to be the PAYLOAD buffer, for large data transfers, IN EITHER DIRECTION.

Now… read this: *IGNORING METHOD_NEITHER in everything below*

First: IN and OUT for IOCTLs… refer to the direction FROM THE DRIVER’S PERSPECTIVE. A OUT buffer is one to which the driver writes (conventionally, a user read operation). An IN buffer is one from which the driver reads (conventionally, a user’s write operation).

Second: Not all IOCTLs need to use both buffers, or either buffer.

Third: If there is an IN buffer specified, and its length is non-zero, it uses Buffered I/O. Which means the data is automagically copied by the I/O Manager between the user’s buffer within his/her process address space and a system buffer in non-paged pool. This system buffer is automatically allocated by the I/O Manager when the I/O Request is issued, and freed by the I/O Manager when the I/O Request is completed.

The pointer (kernel virtual address, in the high half of KV address space) to this system buffer is passed to your driver in your IRP at
Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer, and the length of the buffer (the length the user specified on his/her DeviceIoControl call) is at Parameters.DeviceIoControl.InputBufferLength.

Fourth: If you specify METHOD_BUFFERED for your IOCTL, and if the call to DeviceIoControl specifies an OUT buffer and its length is non-zero, the out data is automagically copied by the I/O Manager between the user’s buffer within his/her process address space and a system buffer in non-paged pool. This system buffer is automatically allocated by the I/O Manager when the I/O Request is issued, and freed by the I/O Manager when the I/O Request is completed. The length of this buffer (the length the user specified on his/her DeviceIoControl call) is passed to your driver at Parameters.DeviceIoControl.OutputBufferLength. The pointer to the buffer (again, KVA in high half of the address space) is passed to your driver at Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer.

Continuing for METHOD_BUFFERED… If the user who calls DeviceIoControl specifies BOTH an IN buffer and an OUT buffer (of non-zero length) the I/O Manager allocates a buffer that is the size of the larger of the two (in other words max(InBufferLength, OutBufferLength). This buffer is used for BOTH to pass data to your driver from the user’s IN buffer, and for your driver to return data to the user’s OUT buffer (this was considered clever and memory efficient in 1989 when this was designed). Thus, your driver must consume any data from the system buffer that was passed to your from the IN buffer, before you start writing data to (that exact same) system buffer that you want returned in the OUT buffer.

Ugly, confusing, silly by 2017 standards… but “it is what it is”… celebrate the fact that we routinely have systems with more than 16MB of memory (which was the minimum officially supported when NT was released).

Fifth: METHOD_xxxx_DIRECT only has to deal with the OUT buffer, and when selected, causes the IN buffer to be described using an MDL. The address of this MDL is at Irp->MdlAddress. You can use it to call MmGetSystemAddressForMdlSafe, to map the buffer described by the MDL into (the high half of) Kernel Virtual Address space. The length of the buffer (the length the user specified on his/her DeviceIoControl call) will be at Parameters.DeviceIoControl.OutputBufferLength.

Now… here’s a cute thing: When you specify METHOD_OUT_DIRECT the get WRITE access to the OUT buffer, and you can (in fact) use the OUT buffer in either (or both) directions (read and/or write). When you specify METHOD_IN_DIRECT you get READ access to the OUT buffer… this treating the IN buffer as read-only.

This 15 year old article might help: http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=92

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

xxxxx@rolle.name wrote:

On the other hand, The Windows 2000 Device Driver Book says that IN is for moving data from the device into user space, and OUT is for the opposite direction. I assume that this is wrong. But I want to confirm that.

Yes, that is wrong.

CodeProject has a page about METHOD_XXX and it agrees with you and with the microsoft doc. It stresses the fact that the ‘lpInBuffer’ buffer is always copied to the driver as though using METHOD_BUFFERED, and the ‘lpOutBuffer’ is always mapped via the MDL. The only difference between IN and OUT is in having read vs. write access to the lpOutBuffer.

This is really what you wrote, but I’m putting it into my own words somewhat more verbosely.

If I’ve got anything wrong, please post a correction. Otherwise I’m happy with the answer.

Nope, I think you have it.

xxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

Is your above comment a rule or there could be some exception?
I am working on handling of IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT

MS doc below seems are saying output buffer are the same as input buffer (Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer)

Right.  That’s not an exception.  IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT is
0x4D014, so based on the low-order 2 bits, it is METHOD_BUFFERED.  Copy
in, copy out; no mapping.

(forgive the intrusion)

Tim… are you posting via email or via NNTP? All about the network here today :slight_smile:

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

xxxxx@osr.com wrote:

(forgive the intrusion)

Tim… are you posting via email or via NNTP? All about the network here today :slight_smile:

I go in by email.  That always seems to work…

I do rue the demise of NNTP, because a web forum is such a dreadful way
to do information exchange.

>I go in by email

Thank you.

I do rue the demise of NNTP

We still support it… but I don’t know how long we’re going to be able to continue to do so.

Sorry for the thread hijack,

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

all right all right…
u said is method, sorry…i never not use METHOD_IN_DIRECT or METHOD_OUT_DIRECT
but!..just see this
https://github.com/markjandrews/wrk-v1.2/blob/daeeb598c7bf091b1370e8875626ad0cb3cd1ec0/base/ntos/io/iomgr/internal.c
in 9038 line:
//
// Based on the method that the buffer are being passed, either allocate
// buffers or build MDLs. Note that in some cases no probing has taken
// place so the exception handler must catch access violations.
//

irp->MdlAddress = (PMDL) NULL;
irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer = (PVOID) NULL;

switch ( method ) {

case METHOD_BUFFERED:

case METHOD_IN_DIRECT:
case METHOD_OUT_DIRECT:

and u can flow these function
R3

=> kernel32!DeviceIoControl

=> ntdll!ZwDeviceIoControlFile

=> ntdll!KiFastSystemCall ///< mov eax,42h

=> sysenter ///< ??R0

???R0???DeviceIoControl???, ???sysenter??R0???

R0 => ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet

=> nt!KiFastCallEntry

=> nt!NtDeviceIoControlFile

=> nt!IopXxxControlFile

=> nt!IopSynchronousServiceTail

=> nt!IopfCallDriver

=> LsNtDrv!DisPatchDeviceControl ///< ???
so. that is u need?

On Mar 1, 2018, at 11:23 PM, processhacker@163.com wrote:
>
> all right all right…
> u said is method, sorry…i never not use METHOD_IN_DIRECT or METHOD_OUT_DIRECT
> but!..just see this
> https://github.com/markjandrews/wrk-v1.2/blob/daeeb598c7bf091b1370e8875626ad0cb3cd1ec0/base/ntos/io/iomgr/internal.c
> in 9038 line:

> so. that is u need?

I have no idea what you’re asking.

And, by the way, it’s illegal for that code to be posted in public. The Windows Research Kernel license certainly does not include republication.

>It might help to understand that the original intent of the IN buffer was for
passing parameters and small data structures into the driver. The original
intent of the OUT buffer was to be the PAYLOAD buffer, for large data transfers,
IN EITHER DIRECTION.

I believe the original NT 3 IOCTL didn’t have a concept of DIRECT or NEITHER. It was only BUFFERED.

xxxxx@broadcom.com wrote:

It might help to understand that the original intent of the IN buffer was for
passing parameters and small data structures into the driver. The original
intent of the OUT buffer was to be the PAYLOAD buffer, for large data transfers,
IN EITHER DIRECTION.

I believe the original NT 3 IOCTL didn’t have a concept of DIRECT or NEITHER. It was only BUFFERED.

Color me dubious.  The <devioctl.h> file from the NT 3.51 DDK is dated
1992 (which was the original release of NT 3.1), and it includes all
four methods.

(I never throw anything away.)

Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.</devioctl.h>

Tim,

I have the NT 3.5 includes and the methods are in there. If I really want to go crazy I have DVD’s of the original driver presentations at Microsoft before NT came out, I suspect they are in there.

Don Burn
Windows Driver Consulting

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of xxxxx@probo.com
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2018 2:29 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: Re: [ntdev] DeviceIoControl with direct I/O and two buffers

xxxxx@broadcom.com wrote:
> It might help to understand that the original intent of the IN buffer
> was for passing parameters and small data structures into the driver.
> The original intent of the OUT buffer was to be the PAYLOAD buffer,
> for large data transfers, IN EITHER DIRECTION.
>
> I believe the original NT 3 IOCTL didn’t have a concept of DIRECT or NEITHER. It was only BUFFERED.

Color me dubious. The <devioctl.h> file from the NT 3.51 DDK is dated
1992 (which was the original release of NT 3.1), and it includes all four methods.

(I never throw anything away.)

NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

Visit the list online at: http:

MONTHLY seminars on crash dump analysis, WDF, Windows internals and software drivers!
Details at http:

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http:</http:></http:></http:></devioctl.h>

Boy, did I stir up a hornet’s nest. I think it’s good to have this conversation.

The point I got from all of this was about using WDF. I originally started with some wdm driver code that someone else wrote, and I didn’t want to go through the learning curve and the necessary rewrites to move it to WDF, since this driver of mine is just an ancillary tool for myself to do some performance profiling. I’ll certainly consider WDF for future work if any. Thanks.

Oh, and Tim, what’s with these ? characters in some of your posts. I just wanted to alert you that they are showing up, at least on my Firefox browser, but not on Thunderbird email.

You may thank the “ultra sophisticated” (read: ancient and annoying) forum front-end to the Lyris Manager for that.

No, we’re not going to fix it. We’re going to throw it out and get something new. Someday.

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

On Mar 2, 2018, at 1:39 PM, xxxxx@rolle.name wrote:
>
> Oh, and Tim, what’s with these  characters in some of your posts. I just wanted to alert you that they are showing up, at least on my Firefox browser, but not on Thunderbird email.

That sounds like a personal problem to me.