1709 bug: USB RNDIS

Hi everybody,

missing you a lot :slight_smile:

Writing here because the 1709 upgrade have broken my USB LTE modem. Probably somebody knows the simple ways (like registry editing) to recover it, or can report the bug to MS.

The modem is Huawei E3372h-153 Hilink, which is a very popular device, re-branded and used by lots of cellphone operators all over the world - Austria, Russia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Vodafone somewhere etc.

The problem is that, with 1709, the modem’s USB RNDIS adapter, managed by the MS’s inbox drivers, does not work.

On some firmware versions (I have re-flashed the modem several times), the network adapter is shown as being OK and fine, but no packets go, so ping and ARP do not work.

On some other firmware versions, only the Windows DHCP client does not work with modem’s RNDIS adapter. Setting the IP address manually is a solution.

With the help of some websites, I have found a workaround on how to solve this.

The workaround is: force update the driver for the RNDIS devnode, installing MISMATCHING AND NOT WORKING Huawei’s driver for the different modem firmware, and then updating the driver on the devnode to the MS’s inbox one again.

After this, the RNDIS devnode works fine with the MS’s inbox driver.

So, the whole thing is that: mismatching Huawei’s driver tweaks something somewhere in the registry, after which returning the devnode back to the same MS’s inbox driver - solves the bug.

In the process, the Huawei’s driver does not work (and it should not). It only succeeds to start the devnode in “cable disconnected” state, nothing more.

Yes, it really looks like an issue not with rndismp6.sys+usb80236.sys, but with either NDIS itself or INetCfg DLLs.

I did some research on comparing the PnP devnode keys and Tcpip keys for “good” and “bad” cases, but so far to no success.

More details on the bug are in this TechNet thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9a44310c-c85a-4794-a927-198021b12b9f/1709-bug-with-rndismp6sysusb80236sys-dhcp-client-does-not-work?forum=win10itpronetworking

Max

You don’t seem to be reading much of NTDEV these days, do you…

IIRC, the issue that you are complaining about( i.e. a forced upgrade from MSFT breaking the workable drivers) was discussed on NTDEV just a few days ago - there is nothing particularly new here…

BTW, once we are at it, what happened to you? Not only that you seem to have disappeared from NTDEV almost completely, but you seem to have changed your posting style completely as well - no more “peppering” your target thread(s) with dozens of posts in a row in a truly machine-gun fashion; no more political discussions; and, incredibly enough, even no reference of any description to your former MVP status(!!!). Did you get disappointed in MSFT/Windows or what?

If you keep on going this way you may well lose your “Official Windows fanboy of NTDEV” position.
Just to give you an idea, there is already a good potential candidate in sight ( check a thread about the driver developers conference,i.e. the one that got locked by Peter, for more details).

> missing you a lot :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t know about other NTDEV members, but I am missing you quite a lot as well,especially when I am in a “trolling mode” - there is no one to tell me about the left-wing conservatives, about MSFT Access being the best software title ever designed anywhere in the observable universe, and about many other “exciting” things that one would normally expect to hear from you…

Anton Bassov

Anton why you so mean? Is troll only role?

Mark Roddy

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 7:30 AM, xxxxx@hotmail.com <
xxxxx@lists.osr.com> wrote:

You don’t seem to be reading much of NTDEV these days, do you…

IIRC, the issue that you are complaining about( i.e. a forced upgrade from
MSFT breaking the workable drivers) was discussed on NTDEV just a few days
ago - there is nothing particularly new here…

>
> BTW, once we are at it, what happened to you? Not only that you seem to
> have disappeared from NTDEV almost completely, but you seem to have changed
> your posting style completely as well - no more “peppering” your target
> thread(s) with dozens of posts in a row in a truly machine-gun fashion; no
> more political discussions; and, incredibly enough, even no reference of
> any description to your former MVP status(!!!). Did you get disappointed
> in MSFT/Windows or what?
>
> If you keep on going this way you may well lose your “Official Windows
> fanboy of NTDEV” position.
> Just to give you an idea, there is already a good potential candidate in
> sight ( check a thread about the driver developers conference,i.e. the one
> that got locked by Peter, for more details).
>
>
> > missing you a lot :slight_smile:
>
>
> Well, I don’t know about other NTDEV members, but I am missing you quite a
> lot as well,especially when I am in a “trolling mode” - there is no one to
> tell me about the left-wing conservatives, about MSFT Access being the best
> software title ever designed anywhere in the observable universe, and
> about many other “exciting” things that one would normally expect to hear
> from you…
>
>

Anton Bassov

NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

Visit the list online at: http:> showlists.cfm?list=ntdev>
>
> MONTHLY seminars on crash dump analysis, WDF, Windows internals and
> software drivers!
> Details at http:
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at <
> http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer&gt;
></http:></http:>

> Anton why you so mean? Is troll only role?

Sorry, but sometimes I just cannot resist the temptation to speak to certain individuals in a very ironical way…

Anton Bassov

Mark Roddy wrote:

Anton why you so mean? Is troll only role?

With Max being such a … “prominent” former poster, I feel we’re all “owed” an “explanation” for his “absence” followed by such a “drastic” change in his posting “style”.

On Nov 6, 2017, at 9:16 AM, xxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Mark Roddy wrote:
>
>> Anton why you so mean? Is troll only role?
>
> With Max being such a … “prominent” former poster, I feel we’re all “owed” an “explanation” for his “absence” followed by such a “drastic” change in his posting “style”.

Are you being sarcastic? Because none of the posters here “owes” us a damned thing, no matter how prolific they used to be.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

> Are you being sarcastic? Because none of the posters here “owes” us a = damned thing,

no matter how prolific they used to be.

I guess you should Google about “the sixth sense of humour” - as I can see, you are not really familiar with this concept, and definitely don’t seem to have the one…

Anton Bassov

On Nov 6, 2017, at 11:17 PM, xxxxx@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Are you being sarcastic? Because none of the posters here “owes” us a = damned thing,
>> no matter how prolific they used to be.
>
> I guess you should Google about “the sixth sense of humour” - as I can see, you are not really familiar with this concept, and definitely don’t seem to have the one…

Or, and hear me out on this one, maybe it just wasn’t funny.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

> Or, and hear me out on this one, maybe it just wasn’t funny.

…which simply proves the assertion that I made in my previous post, beyond any reasonable doubt…

Anton Bassov

> -----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:53 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
> Subject: RE:[ntdev] 1709 bug: USB RNDIS
>
> > Or, and hear me out on this one, maybe it just wasn’t funny.
>
>
>
> …which simply proves the assertion that I made in my previous post,
> beyond any reasonable doubt…

Not really. Just because you thought it was funny doesn’t make it so, and it doesn’t prove your assertion that another person else lacks a sense of humor.

Grow up a little. Or go wee in someone else’s sandbox. Your act is wearing mighty thin.

Phil

Not speaking for LogRhythm
?
Philip D Barila
Senior Software Engineer
720.881.5364 (W) ?
LogRhythm.com
?

?

?

?

Grow up a little.

Or go wee in someone else’s sandbox.

Am I the only one who finds the above combination…ugh, funny. Let’s face it - the latter statement seems to be typical of someone who is yet to grow up quite a it, don’t you think…

Well, judging from what you have said, you are still at some"cute" development stage when the only things that you find funny tend to be toilet-related ones. Actually, I would not be too surprised if you find the word “assume” funny (i.e. the way career military officers do).

No wonder that the humour/irony/sarcasm of Mr.Aseltine’s statement escapes you completely…

Anton Bassov

I know I’m done with this thread.

-scott
OSR
@OSRDrivers