Control StorPort Adapter Device Object Access

I have a Virtual StorPort driver that handles custom IOCTL’s on it’s adapter device via HwProcessServiceRequest. I register a device interface on the adapter control device object. I would like to change the SDDL for the adapter to modify the device access. I have a few questions:

1. Can I change the SDDL from within the driver? I don’t create the device object, so I can’t specify the SDDL at device creation time. Is there a StorPort way to do this or is that just not intended with StorPort?

2. Can I change the device objects security descriptor on the existing adapter device object? If this is a viable route, I’m pretty weak an ACL’s, ACE’s and SID’s. I’d like some guidance on this. As a test, I put in a hack to clear the FILE_DEVICE_SECURE_OPEN flag from each device in the device stack and that didn’t help, but maybe StorPort’s create handler is blocking this still. I know this is not a viable solution anyway; it was just a test.

3. I set the SDDL string in the INF file for my driver. It didn’t seem to change the device access until I disabled and re-enabled the device. Then it took effect. After initial install and after a reboot, I can’t access it again without disable/enable. I was not able to configure the INF to that it would add a Security key with a binay Security value under my service key or software key. I did get it to add a Security string value under my service and software keys. Am I doing something wrong with the INF?

4. Would it just be easier to create a WDM control device object so I can specify my own SDDL using IoCreateDeviceSecure and handle ordinary IOCTL’s?

Thanks

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

What kind of access you want to enable?

Make your device NON boot start.

The device is demand start. I want to allow non-admin code access. This is an internal only test driver so I’m not worried about security.

Here are the sections in my INF that I added Security directives to:

; --------- Windows NT Install Section -----------------
[MyDriverInstall.NT]
CopyFiles = MyDriverDriverFiles
AddReg = MyDriverInstall.NT.AddReg

[MyDriverInstall.NT.AddReg]
HKR,Security,“D:P(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGWGX;;;BA)(A;;GRGWGX;;;WD)(A;;GRGWGX;;;RC)”

[MyDriverInstall.NT.AddReg.Security]
“D:P(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGWGX;;;BA)(A;;GRGWGX;;;WD)(A;;GRGWGX;;;RC)”

[MyDriverInstall.NT.Services]
Addservice = MyDriver, %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%, MyDriverAddService, FusionAddEventLog

[MyDriverAddService]
DisplayName = %SvcDesc%
ServiceType = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType = %SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl = %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
LoadOrderGroup = SCSI Miniport
ServiceBinary = %12%\MyDriver.sys
AddReg = bus_type_scsi, mydevice.reg

[mydevice.reg]
HKR,Security,“D:P(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGWGX;;;BA)(A;;GRGWGX;;;WD)(A;;GRGWGX;;;RC)”

[mydevice.reg.Security]
“D:P(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGWGX;;;BA)(A;;GRGWGX;;;WD)(A;;GRGWGX;;;RC)”

The .Security directives don’t seem to work, but the directives to add Security string values do.