Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Question on using NdisMQueueDpcEx to queue DPC on other CPUs

AneeshSAneeshS Member Posts: 9

I have a special need to queue DPC to specific CPUs from my ISR which always happens on CPU #0. It is a feature/bug of my HW. It is a networking device I have implemented in my FPGA.

My driver is a NDIS miniport driver (I also have an intermediate driver but that is more for debug that my customers can use).

Driver calls NdisMRegisterInterruptEx() successfully and gets back the IO_INTERRUPT_MESSAGE_INFO_ENTRY structures (as part of IO_INTERRUPT_MESSAGE_INFO) when this function returns.

Driver squirrels away this information.

When the time comes to schedule the DPC, I am using NdisMQueueDpcEx from the ISR.

This function is prototyped as follows and this is prototyped as follows

[in] IN NDIS_HANDLE NdisInterruptHandle,
[in] IN ULONG MessageId,
[in] IN PGROUP_AFFINITY TargetProcessors,
[in] IN PVOID MiniportDpcContext

Documentation for this document says MessageId is the index into IO_INTERRUPT_MESSAGE_INFO_ENTRY structure that matches the CPU I want to DPC to.
My system has multiple processor groups each of which has 64 CPUs.

My question is how do I find the index into IO_INTERRUPT_MESSAGE_INFO_ENTRY array matching my target processors since the IO_INTERRUPT_MESSAGE_INFO_ENTRY has no Group field. It just has a TargetProcessorSet (in my case each MessageId targets only one CPU) which is just 64-bits.

As an example, I have the index of the processor I want to send to so I get its GROUP, NUMBER but when I walk through the array of IO_INTERRUPT_MESSAGE_INFO_ENTRY, since there is no group number I am curious what index to use?.