memory mapping in ISA device driver (non PnP)

Hi,

I am new to windows driver development.
In my project we are using PCA-6029 (i7 with H110 chipset) SBC. It supports windows 10 IOT enterprise LTSC, we have to develop a ISA device driver to access custom ISA board (slave). ISA board is a memory module, we need to access the memory (0xcc000 - 0xcc799) from SBC (PCA 6029) through ISA bus.

I have developed basic driver by referring Microsoft site. I can able to create driver object and device object. Now I have faced issue in memory mapping section (EvtDevicePrepareHardware ()).

In driver source:

DriverEntry()
{
WdfDriverCreate(); → driver obj created successfully.
}

isaEvtDeviceAdd()
{
WDF_PNPPOWER_EVENT_CALLBACKS_INIT(&pnppowercallback);
pnppowercallback.evtdevicepreparehardware = isaEvtdevicepreparehardware; ->set callback functions
WdfDeviceInitSetPnpPowerEventCallbacks (DeviceInit, &pnppowercallback) ->register the pnp callbacks.
WdfDeviceCreate(); → device obj created successfully.
}

NTSTATUS isaEvtdevicepreparehardware (WDFDEVICE Device,
WDFCMRESLIST Resources,
WDFCMRESLIST ResourcesTranslated)
{
KdPrint((“WdfCmResourceListGetCount=%d\n”, WdfCmResourceListGetCount(ResourcesTranslated)));

for (i = 0; i < WdfCmResourceListGetCount(ResourcesTranslated); i++) 
 {

desc = WdfCmResourceListGetDescriptor(ResourcesTranslated, i);

switch (desc->Type) 
 {

case CmResourceTypeMemory:
 desc->u.Port.Start.LowPart,
 desc->u.Port.Length));
 DevExt->RegsBase = MmMapIoSpace(desc->u.Memory.Start, desc->u.Memory.Length, MmNonCached);
 break;

case CmResourceTypePort:
 desc->u.Port.Start.LowPart,
 desc->u.Port.Length));
 break;

default:
KdPrint(("default!!\n"));
break;
}
}

}

Here, isaEvtdevicepreparehardware is getting triggered, but WdfCmResourceListGetCount = 0, that means PNP manager couldn’t find any resources.

My doubts:

1. since our custom ISA board is non PNP device, then how to specify hardware resources to PNPmanager ?

2. How our driver can identify the ISA board ?, Which hardware ID need to use in our INF file. (custom board doesn’t have vendor ID and device ID). ?

3. In SBC (pca 6029) ISA bus is connected through LPC interface ( processor - LPC - - ISA). In Device manager I can see the "System devices > Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller (H110) - A143” device, it has msisadrv.sys driver. Shall we consider this as ISA bus driver ?
    whether our driver (function driver) need to talk with bus driver for resource allocation ?

4. How to conform our ISA board has connected and bus driver has started?

I have bit confused, Please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in Advance,
Mohan.

Look at the LogConfig directive of an INF file https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/inf-logconfig-directive This is how you make a non-PNP device’s hardware known so it can be dealt with a driver written for PnP.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply !!!

Need one more clarification:

1. How our KMDF driver can identify the ISA board ? we need to use any specific hardware ID ? since custom board doesn’t have vendor ID and device ID.
  2. ISA is connected through LPC interface, whether we need to use LPC hardware ID
    (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A082&SUBSYS_14621043&REV_20) ?

with Thanks
mohan

If this is for an enclosed embedded system, and not for general release, then you might consider throwing out all of the PnP concerns and just do hardcoded mapping of your memory space. Are you sure the device exists at physical 0xCC000? Does the BIOS know about your device?

Thanks for asking!!!

Yeah this is an enclosed embedded system. (SBC card and ISA card are connected through backplane).

1. **Are you sure the device exists at physical 0xCC000? **
    → the custom ISA board is memory module of 2KB (0xcc000 -0xcc799), this memory range we used in slave side. But i don’t know where it mapped in SBC side. How can can I find the physical memory of ISA interface?.

2.Does the BIOS know about your device?
->This also I am not sure, while installing OS in BIOS section didn’t have ISA peripheral initialization. How can I confirm BIOS knows about ISA device? (since internally it is connected through LPC interface).

with Thanks,
Mohan.

this memory range we used in slave side. But i don’t know where it mapped in SBC side.

In ISA, the board claims its own address. The addresses aren’t assigned by anyone else. In many cases, there was a set of DIP switches to select between several options. If you’ve used CC000 before, then that’s probably it forever and ever. :wink:

My previous suggestion still stands. I suggest you write a non-PnP driver that unconditionally maps that address and see if you can access the card. That’s going to be the least energy solution.

1 Like

you might consider throwing out all of the PnP concerns and just do hardcoded mapping of your memory space

As rare as it may be, I strenuously object to Mr. Roberts’ suggestion. Just put the memory resource in the LogConfig, and save future maintainers the grief of figuring out your logic. It’ll take you longer to write the comment to explain to future maintainers that yes, you REALLY do want to access these hard-coded memory addresses and, yes, you KNOW that’s not the right way to write a typical Windows drivers but, yes, this works in this case.

Why go through that? Put the resource where Gxd himself intended it to be, use the EvtDevicePrepareHardware callback that you’ve already written and be done with it.

Peter

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Now I have updated [logconfig section] section in INF file. I have specified the memory range, But still I am not getting any resource assignation.

Like before, isaEvtdevicepreparehardware is getting triggered, but WdfCmResourceListGetCount = 0.

In INF file,

[sampleHW_driver_Device.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.NT.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.ntx86.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.ntarm64.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.NTamd64.LogConfigOverride]
LogConfig=sampleHW_driver_Device.override0

[sampleHW_driver_Device.override0]
MemConfig=0xcc000-0xcc799

1. Anything I have missed ?

MS site they mentioned:
Note If you are building a universal or mobile driver package, this directive is not valid. See Using a Universal INF File.

1. Whether I have made mistake in building as universal driver, If then how to build for non universal?

2. Need to update anything in registry side?

with Thanks,
Mohan.

Drop the ‘Ox’ from the memconfig spec, as in CC000-CC799.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!
I updated as @Mark_Roddy suggested, But still I am not getting any resource assignation.
Like before, isaEvtdevicepreparehardware is getting triggered, but WdfCmResourceListGetCount = 0.

below I have added in INF file.
.INF file:

[sampleHW_driver_Device.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.NT.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.ntx86.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.ntarm64.LogConfigOverride]|
[sampleHW_driver_Device.NTamd64.LogConfigOverride]
LogConfig=sampleHW_driver_Device.override0

[sampleHW_driver_Device.override0]
MemConfig=CC000-CC799

Doubts:

1. Our ISA slave (custom board) doesn’t have hardware id, then how the driver knows the assignation of resource (memory mapping (CC000-CC799) to that particular device (ISA slave)?
  2. still now the memory range is free (device manager->resources), how we can tell the driver to map that memory to this non pnp device?

with Thanks,
Mohan.

Having JUST been through this in another thread, you might try using the FactDef in addition to (or instead of) LogConfig.

Peter