Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Detect if request was reparsed

MDHMDH Member Posts: 44

When a driver returns STATUS_REPARSE from PreCreate is there a way to detect when the reparsed request comes back down the pipe? I'm curious if there is a flag set to indicate that the request was the result of a previous reparse.

Comments

• rod_widdowsonrod_widdowson Member - All Emails Posts: 1,215

ECPs survive reparse. So you'd usually attach one to the (post) create and look for it in the pre-create. That's a big hammer, but its the only one I'm aware of

• MDHMDH Member Posts: 44

Thank Rod but that only works if the filter below reparses. Wouldn't work for my own reparsing or for a filter above. I was hoping there was a global solution that could be detected at an arbitrary level but I don't think there is.

• Scott_Noone_(OSR)Scott_Noone_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 3,465

In theory your filter shouldn't care about reparses done above you. Even if there was something that said, "this is a reissue of a reparse" you wouldn't have ever seen the original reparse so not sure what you'd do with it.

-scott
    OSR