Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

What does kernel code signing EKU do? How can i still load a driver without kernel code signing EKU?

henrik_meidahenrik_meida Member Posts: 83

I recently got my hands on a new certificate, and it came to my notice that it did not have kernel mode code signing EKU in the certificate, but it did have code signing EKU.

I thought for sure that if i use this to sign a driver, it should not load. But it actually did!

So my question is, what does kernel mode code signing EKU in the certificate actually do? How can i load a driver that is signed with a cert without kernel mode code signing EKU?

Comments

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,704

I am not aware of a special kernel mode code signing EKU. Can you tell me what that OID is?

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• henrik_meidahenrik_meida Member Posts: 83

@Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) said:
    I am not aware of a special kernel mode code signing EKU. Can you tell me what that OID is?

Peter

The OID is the following:

Kernel Mode Code Signing (1.3.6.1.4.1.311.61.1.1)

What's the point of this OID then? I just noticed that some of the certificates that are used to sign drivers don't even have this, and some do. I always thought this OID is required for drivers?