Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Can't sign up in the microsoft hardware developer program, stuck on creating Azure directory?

henrik_meidahenrik_meida Member Posts: 83

Has anyone here managed to sign up in the hardware dashboard in recent months? Their horrible website seems to have some problems, i saw many other people are having the same problem, but opening threads on Microsoft's forum doesn't achieve to much.

When i try to sign up in the hardware program, i am stuck at the first part of it, it asks me to sign in Azure Active Directory?! Well we don't have Azure Active Directory.., so i try to create a new azure directory, fill up the form, it says " Setting up your Azure AD ... This may take up to 1 minute. Please don’t refresh the page."
Afterwards it says something went wrong Please try again later..

I thought maybe if i wait a month they'll fix this, but nope..

What does Azure directory even have to do with ANYTHING? Has anyone here registered on their hardware program recently?

Comments

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,704

Well, it’s asking for Azure Active Directory… AD as in “domain” — not a directory folder on an Azure instance, right? In other words, it wants an email address associated with Office 365 or Microsoft 365… one that’s been verified and is trustworthy to MSFT.

If you don’t have these things, and I guess there are some people who don’t, you could try a Microsoft account. That did, back in the old days, work. Whether it works now or not, I have no idea.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 14,109

I have to admit, their wording is quite opaque to me, perhaps because I've never played in the Azure world. I was able to create my account using my "Microsoft account" with my regular work email address. That gets me three different "Azure AD directories" in the dashboard list, one of which works for submissions; the other two seem to be mostly decorative. Every time I make a submission, I have to relearn all of this.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• henrik_meidahenrik_meida Member Posts: 83
    edited September 24

@Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) said:
    Well, it’s asking for Azure Active Directory… AD as in “domain” — not a directory folder on an Azure instance, right? In other words, it wants an email address associated with Office 365 or Microsoft 365… one that’s been verified and is trustworthy to MSFT.

If you don’t have these things, and I guess there are some people who don’t, you could try a Microsoft account. That did, back in the old days, work. Whether it works now or not, I have no idea.

Peter

Well, i tried to sign in with my Microsoft account (outlook mail) in this page :

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-US/dashboard/Registration/Hardware?step=AzureADAccount

But it just goes to the first page, which is this :

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-US/dashboard/Registration/Hardware?step=GetStarted

Is this a Joke? What the hell is wrong with Microsoft? they can't even put together a proper website, but they still want to force everyone to use it..

This doesn't even properly show any error or tell us what is happening, it just goes to first page, and when i try to sign up with their "Azure AD", whatever that is, it just says something went wrong, it was the same 3-4 weeks ago, i thought they probably fixed it by now, but i guess my expectations were too high for them.

@Tim_Roberts said:
    I have to admit, their wording is quite opaque to me, perhaps because I've never played in the Azure world. I was able to create my account using my "Microsoft account" with my regular work email address. That gets me three different "Azure AD directories" in the dashboard list, one of which works for submissions; the other two seem to be mostly decorative. Every time I make a submission, I have to relearn all of this.

I'm just confused, what does Azure AD has to do anything with me signing my drivers? And why does it go back to square one when i try to sign in? It's just an endless loop, i click on sign in, it goes to first page.. just wow.

what does Azure AD has to do anything with me signing my drivers?

Nothing at all. But it does have something to do with your creating a Dashboard account and managing that account. Sort of like Apple… you need to use your Apple ID. The need to use a vendor specific or trusted account isn’t anything surprising or unique to MSFT. So, get over it.

In the case of the Dashboard, the Dashboard itself (apparently) uses Azure AD to manage your overall account, in which you can designate different individuals with varying levels of authorization.

Now, to your valid point of complaint: That the web site will not allow you to create an AAD account if you don’t have one must be a bug, as you say. And, yes… that whole web site can be ridiculously frustrating to use. When things go right, it’s all fine. When something goes wrong, trying to find out why and what you need to do is…. Impossible.

I’ve tried to make one of our employees an admin for driver signing, so she can upload our EV Cert each time it changes. In four years, I advent been able to find the magic incantation to make that happen. Yes, frustrating.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

… and I just tried to setup an Azure AD for myself (not using my actual corp email) and I can confirm that I also got the “Something went wrong” page… with exactly no diagnostic information available.

Awesome , huh? No….

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

@Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) said:
    … and I just tried to setup an Azure AD for myself (not using my actual corp email) and I can confirm that I also got the “Something went wrong” page… with exactly no diagnostic information available.

Awesome , huh? No….

Peter

So is there anything i can do to get pass this Azure AD step?

In the Azure AD sign up, i tried using my corp email, gmail, outlook mail, and non of them works. Tried many different domain names, neither worked. I just don't understand the level of mismanagement at Microsoft.. They force everyone to use this dashboard to sign their drivers, and i assume they should've expected a new wave of driver developers trying to use their dashboard, but you can't even sign up there due to bugs.. This is not a new bug neither, the same bug existed 1 month ago when i first tried.

• pwillypwilly Member Posts: 22

Can't exactly remember what the catch was as it is already a couple of years ago. But we first registered to a MS kind of developer or partner account with any email let's say [email protected].net. Then there was an additional step which provided the AD email [email protected].onmicrosoft.com which we could use to submit drivers. Not really a solution but it may help a tiny bit.