Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Can not open file in the callback of IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION post operation

ruslan090ruslan090 Member Posts: 3

Hello. As the title implied, I have a problem in opening file in the callback of IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION post operation.
My project is inherited from Microsoft "scanner" minifilter project in github.
I want to open file after the file is renamed. So I registered callbacks to IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION event.
Originally I tried to open a file in pre operation callback. But file handler is not fully released, so failed in opening file.
So I tried to open file in post operation of IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION event. But still can not open file.
What should I do if I want to open file in that callback?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rod_widdowsonrod_widdowson Member - All Emails Posts: 1,210
    • What is the status that you get. That is usually a good hint
    • Odd things happen after rename of a file on RDR, is this your situation?
    • What does “ But file handler is not fully released, so failed in opening file” mean. No I am not going to the sample code
  • ruslan090ruslan090 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for your reply.

@rod_widdowson said:

• What is the status that you get. That is usually a good hint

Driver mode send file path to user mode. Then, user mode tries to open that file using "fopen". GetLastError returns 32. It means:ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

• ruslan090ruslan090 Member Posts: 3

BTW, Is there any way to giveup file access privilege so other process can access that file in minifilter?