wdf usb driver install on window xp

I have a wdf usb driver, run on win7 and win10,after install, other usb ports can be used normally.

but on windows xp, each usb port must be installed once to use it. the driver code is same, use wdk7600 compile in windows xp.

I don’t know how to install the xp driver only once and it can be used on other USB ports.

thank you for you help

Unless your device has a serial number, the first time it is plugged into each new port, it is seen as a new device. This is true for ALL of the systems, but Windows 7 and beyond handle it quietly, so you just don’t see it.

The proper solution is to put a serial number in your device’s descriptors, or to dump your antique XP systems.

@Tim_Roberts said:
Unless your device has a serial number, the first time it is plugged into each new port, it is seen as a new device. This is true for ALL of the systems, but Windows 7 and beyond handle it quietly, so you just don’t see it.

The proper solution is to put a serial number in your device’s descriptors, or to dump your antique XP systems.

thank you, Tim_Roberts.

@Tim_Roberts said:

thank you,Tim_Reberts .

I find device’s descriptors iSerialNumber =0, when i put a serial number in my device’s descriptors, it run ok
(install the xp driver only once and it can be used on other USB ports.)

1>. I have an other question, pid or iSerialNumber is different, is it seen as a new device? because I have two devices with different pid, i must Install the driver twice, but in win7 or win10 ,only install once.

2>. Is there a way to install the driver only once? Because we have more than ten devices with different pids,each device has to install the driver once, which is very troublesome.

pid or iSerialNumber is different, is it seen as a new device?

Yes. Again, that’s the same for ALL operating systems.

Is there a way to install the driver only once?

No. If your driver has passed WHQL and received a Microsoft signature, then the install will not require any human intervention, but it will still go through the install process.